freshh connection tuei08u 9SU unsplashjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freshh connection tuei08u 9SU unsplashjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness > Mental Health

3 Ways to Benefit from a Gratitude Journal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

If you haven’t tried using a gratitude journal in your life, now is the time to start. Head down to your local Michael’s or Target and pick up a journal for yourself. Something that might have an inspirational quote your journal such as “Self-Care”, “Turn Your Vision Into Victory”, “Leave your Fears Behind”, or anything that catches your eye. Gratitude is the single most important aspect in life and there’s multiple reasons why to practice it in a journal!

It increases positivity in your life

When I started to use my gratitude journal, I learned how to implement the Law of Attraction in my life. The more gratitude and positive energy I put out into the universe, the more gratitude and positive energy I received. I would start my day by writing down ten things I was grateful and why. At first, it felt difficult to come up with but each day it got easier and easier. It helped me shift from the negative to positive and to always make good out of bad situations. 

Improves Self-Esteem

One of the exercises I used when writing in my gratitude journal was writing down three things that I was grateful for about myself. I would look in the mirror and say simple phrases out loud or in my head. It allowed me to name differently things I love about myself. Another example would be saying thank you every time I took a step. Thanking every part of my body such as my feet and legs always supporting me when I felt like I couldn’t stand no more. It also impacted me to reflect on personal achievements such as finishing a small assignment by having a productive day or going out of my way to make others smile. Acknowledging that any accomplishment is one and to be proud of myself. 

Better Sleeping Habits

I’ve always had trouble sleeping at night due to overthinking and worrying all night about things I can’t control. When I introduced the gratitude journal into my life, I noticed my sleeping patterns changed. I would reflect on the best that happened during the day that and write about it. Writing in my journal before bed prompted my thoughts to be more positive. Each night I felt more and more calm that helped me have a clear mind and to not overthink before bed.

I recommend starting a gratitude journal. It acknowledges to focus on the now and gain a new perspective of what is important in life. Sometimes in life, we might not think we have a lot to be grateful for. But that couldn’t be farther from the truth. After using this gratitude journal in my daily life, I realized how much I was grateful for and more. 

Pexels

Sara Terpak

Sacred Heart '21

Sara Terpak SHU'21 English Major & Psychology Minor
Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)