10 Times Parks and Rec’s Andy and April Were Our Unconventional Relationship Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacred Heart chapter.

While being stuck at home and #quarantineandchill, I have been binge-watching and re-watching Parks and Recreation. This is my second time watching the show the whole way through. I binge-watched it on Netflix when I was in high school at the same time and right after it was still on NBC. Parks and Recreation is such a great and funny show with a lot of heart. In my opinion, two of the reasons that make it so great are characters April and Andy. 

woman eating popcorn
Photo by JESHOOTS.com from Pexels

April (who is played by Aubrey Plaza) and Andy (who is played by some actor you may have heard of named Chris Pratt before he was starring in the Guardians of the Galaxy, the Lego Movies, and Jurassic World.) are so cute and are definitely #relationshipgoals. However, the reason I love them so much and I realized this while watching it through this time, they are not your typical #relationshipgoals. Of course, our hearts melt at the thought of finding a Jim to our Pam (The Office), Chandler to our Monica (Friends), Nathan to our Haley (One Tree Hill), or Finn to our Rachel (Glee). These couples are all adorable and I will admit, I do tear up every time I see the scene of Monica and Chandler getting engaged even though I’ve seen it a thousand times. Same with the scene of the dvd Jim makes for Pam during the second to last episode of The Office. All of these television couples are great and their stories are very romantic; we root for them, while they’ve had us reaching for the tissues one time or another. However, April and Andy’s relationship is very different and unique; they are extremely weird and unconventional. That is why we love them. Here are 10 times that Andy and April were our unconventional #relationshipgoals. 

1. I had to start this list off with when April first says “I love you” to Andy. In my opinion, this scene holds two of the most iconic lines of the entire show. (S3E7)

April: “Hey, I love you.”

Andy: “Dude, shut up! That is awesome sauce!”

~Later On in the Episode~

Andy: “I do love you”

April: “You do?”

Andy: “Yeah. That’s what, you know, makes the sauce so awesome” 

2. When Andy reminds us of what a guy needs to do to treat his lady like a queen (S3E6)

Andy: “I kind of forgot that you need money when you have a girlfriend. I wanna treat April like a queen, and queens deserve flowers and massages. Chocolates, booze. Diamonds, rubies, them treasure chests full of scarves. Different kinds of lubes that warm up when you rub ‘em on stuff. I’m gonna give her all that stuff. And more.”

But then, later on, April lets him know that he doesn’t have to do any of that

April: “Is Everything Okay?”

Andy: “Uh, It kind of sucks that I’m super broke and I want to buy you stuff and it’s embarrassing that I can’t but..”

April: “I’m broke too. And I don’t need anything. I just want to hang out with you.”

3. When the absolute last thing on earth Andy wants to do is something that will make April mad at him (S2E18)

“So I feel like you were mad at me yesterday and I don’t know why so I made a list of everything I did and I’m going to try not to do any of them again,” -Andy.

4. When they first admit their feelings for each other (S2E24)

Andy: “I like you in a, you know, romantically kind of way”

April: “You do?”

Andy: “Yes! Do you… Like me?”

April: “Yes.”

Andy: “HA!”

*They High Five*

5. Literally (In Chris Traeger’s voice) their entire wedding (S3E9)

April: “I guess I kind of hate most things, but I never really seem to hate you. So I wanna spend the rest of my life with you. Is that cool?”

Andy: “April, you are the most awesome person I have ever known in my entire life. I vow to protect you from danger. And I don’t care if I have to fight an ultimate fighter, or a bear, or him, or your mom. I would take them down. I’m getting mad right now even telling you! I wanna spend the rest of my life, every minute, with you, and I am the luckiest man in the galaxy.”

6. Once they are married, go shopping for common household items, and Andy assures April that they will not be boring while they are “adults” (S3E11)

Andy: “What? What’s wrong?”

April: “Nothing. It’s just that adults are boring. And I hate them, and I don’t want to buy all this stupid boring adult stuff and become boring adults.”

Andy: “Hey, listen to me. Yes, we’re gonna get a dish rack and shower curtains and a cutting board, but if you think for one second I’m not also going to get that Marshmallow Shooter so that I can shoot you in the face with marshmallows when you’re asleep, then you’re the dumbest woman I know.”

April: “You’re gonna make me cry.”

7. When April helps Andy complete every single item on his bucket list in one night and then they end it by driving to the Grand Canyon (S4E6)

Andy: “It’s so much more beautiful than I ever could have imagined.”

April: “Yeah, I’m trying to find a way to be annoyed at it, but I’m coming up empty.”

Andy: “Thank You so much. I never would’ve done this without you. Thank You.”

“Andy: “Where are all the faces of the presidents?”

8. When Andy gets a job offer in London and April first proves to him that he can do it and then he proves to her that long distance isn’t that hard.

(S6E1)

April: “I think you should do it. When are you gonna have another opportunity like this? – I mean— And, plus, we can deal with the distance, okay? Remember, I was in Washington last year.”

Andy: “He said he wanted me to head up the company. I have no idea how to run a nonprofit.”

April: “Hey. You shined shoes for over two years and never made a profit. Come on, you can hack this. I believe in you. But to replace you, I am going to have to build a scarecrow replica of you and take it to the movies.”

Andy: “ Seems like the only logical solution.”

(S6E6)

“Just remember every time you look up at the moon, I too will be looking at a moon. Not the same moon, obviously, that’s impossible” -Andy. 

9. When Andy didn’t want or need April to do all the usual domestic tasks of a typical wife. So, then, she did them in her own way. 

(S3E10)

Andy: “Man, we spent like 50 hours working on those burgers”

April: “I know. Hard work never pays off.”

Andy: “Cooking is dumb”

April: “I swear on this dead crow I will never cook for you”

Andy: “I love you”

(S6E6)

April: I made you five bologna sandwiches..”

Andy: “Did you..”

April: “Yes, I used cookies instead of bread”

Andy: “You think of Everything. I love you” 

10. Finally, when they name their son (S7E12), the series finale)

Andy: “Burt Macklin Jr.?”

April: “We need a Halloween Angle. How ‘bout ‘Demon Spawn Baby Satan Dwyer?”

Andy: “Burt Snakehole Ludgate Karate Dracula Maclin Demon Jack-O-Lantern Dwyer. We call him Jack for short!”

*Leslie and Ben come to meet the baby* Leslie: “What’s his name?”

April: “Jack”

kimmy schmit tv gif
Netflix / Giphy

Sacred Heart student from Mass, sharing my thoughts and interests with others on Her Campus :)
Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart '24

The official contributor profile for the Her Campus chapter at Sacred Heart.