What is Veganism? : Vegan Recipes for Thanksgiving!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Happy World Vegan Month!

Photo by Silviarita from Pixabay

I know that some of you folks might tense up at the thought of going vegan. There are some misunderstandings on both sides of the topic. I want to clarify that I am not a vegan; I’m a transitioning vegetarian. I believe everyone has the right to eat whatever they choose and live the life they want. I simply want to bring awareness on how beneficial veganism or vegetarianism can make a difference in your life. I will also introduce some delicious vegan recipes that I recommend you try out at your Thanksgiving dinner table. When you’re ready, scroll down and check it out!

1. What is Veganism? What is Vegetarianism?

Photo by Silviarita from Pixabay

According to Vegan Action, Veganism, “the natural extension of vegetarianism, is an integral component of a true cruelty-free lifestyle.” To be more specific, Vegans don’t consume or utilize any animal products. That includes: eggs, dairy, meat, fur coats, honey, etc. Even food products that contain animal hormones or chemicals are not acceptable to eat as a vegan since they are derived from an animal.

Remember to not mistake vegan for a vegetarian.

Vegetarians are those that consume animal products, but choose not to consume meat or certain types of meat. A few types are listed in Vegan Society. These include Ovo, Lacto and Lacto-Ovo vegetarians. This just tells us that some vegetarians are choosing to eat certain animal products, but not others. For example, Ovo Vegetarians only consume eggs, but not dairy or meat. Lacto vegetarians can still consume dairy, but not eggs or meat. Lacto-Ovo vegetarians can consume both eggs and dairy, but not meat. These are only a few types but believe me, there are many more.

2. Why go Vegan? What are the Benefits?

Photo by Roy Buri from Pixabay

Going vegan is beneficial to your general health, for wildlife and the environment.

If we were to go vegan, we would reduce major health risks such as: heart disease, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, kidney disease, high blood pressure, etc. You are more likely to control your hunger and cravings while losing/maintaining your weight, and you’ll feel more energized and alert.

Animal agriculture puts a lot of stress on our environment and causes a lot of environmental problems.

With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, I’m sure everyone you know has a different lifestyles and eating regiments. Take the time to be considerate and cook a few vegan/vegetarian recipes to include those with dietary restrictions at the dinner table.

6 Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes to Have at the Dinner Table:

1. Vegan Roasted-Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Photo by CongerDesign from Pixabay

Mashed potatoes is a must-have dish at the dinner table and they can easily be made a vegan option without putting in the extra work. Try making the Vegan Roasted-Garlic Mashed Potato recipe from Food Network. The total cooking time is 1 hour and 5 minutes. You should have enough for 4 servings. Even if you are not a vegan, it still sounds absolutely delicious!

2. Vegan Gravy

Photo by MoreHarmony from Pixabay

Obviously no mashed potato is perfect without the gravy! This gravy can also be used on your meatloaf or turkey. This is super quick and easy with the cooking time being approximately 10 minutes.

3. Vegan Pumpkin Pie

Photo by Skeeze from Pixabay

This is another classic Thanksgiving treat that has been reinvented by Sam, the “It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken”, blogger. You can check out the blog with the recipe or watch the video tutorial on how to recreate this classic dish by clicking here.

4. Mashed Cauliflower Green Bean Casserole

Photo by Einladung_zun_Essen/218 images from Pixabay

This casserole recipe is from Contentedness Cooking. This dish is perfect to serve at the dinner table because it takes about 35 minutes to cook and serves 8 people. This is also a pretty healthy choice. While you dive into lots of carb heavy and delicious dishes, you’re at least able to indulge in some delicious vegetables.

5. Corn Chowder

Photo by RitaE from pixabay

Try this quick and easy soup that’s perfect for the fall season. It’s creamy, delicious and perfect to have as one of your Thanksgiving dishes. It only takes 30 minutes to make and the ingredients are pretty simple. The soup is made of corn, zucchini, bell peppers, potatoes, coconut milk millet and other spices. It’s a unique dish that the whole family will love!

Check out the recipe from Happy Kitchen by clicking here.

6. Vegan Meatloaf with Cranberry Glaze

Photo by CongerDesign from Pixabay

We can’t forget the main course, the turkey! Sadly, Vegans can’t eat that, but another alternative is this vegan meatloaf recipe from I Love Vegan.

Jasmine Duong

Sacramento '22

Hello, I’m Jasmine Duong. I’m a second year at Sacramento State, majoring in pre-nursing with a minor in dance and/or nutrition. My hobbies include reading, doing makeup, exercising, hanging with anyone, shopping, & dancing! If I’m not studying, you can find me all over campus socializing!