mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Living Low Waste: How Simple Living Helps The Planet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

Realistically speaking, Earth has not been healthy for the past couple of years. Whether it’s the news or your ethics professor, knowledge of climate change is spreading like wildfire. People are trying to make a difference to stop climate change. 

The ‘zero-waste’ lifestyle movement was started by Bea Johnson. Her blog about living zero-waste led to her book about it. 

“To me, the zero waste lifestyle is not about complicating your life, it is about simplifying it,” said Johnson.

Sourced from Zero Waste Home

She has a five rule plan that her household follows: refusing what you don’t need, reduce what you do, reusing or swapping for eco-friendly alternatives, recycle whatever you cannot refuse, reduce or reuse, buying second-hand and rot or compost the rest. 

Whether it’s toothbrushes, make-up, or cooking utensils, the switch reduces your carbon footprint and can be fairly easy to do. Not only are you consuming less but you end up saving money. 

“When you have things that you don’t need, you’re keeping them from being useful to other people,” said Johnson.

Like Johnson, “The Green Dreamer Podcast” with Kamea Chayne aims to help restore the planet. Her podcast acts as a media journal that educates on the social and ecological crises happening today.

Sourced from Green Dreamer

“Indoor air pollution can be two to five times higher than typical outdoor air pollution,” said Chayne. Her podcast and Youtube videos expose the truth about the conspiracies that are destroying our planet. 

“We can become active citizens and help plan for a greener future for our communities,” said Chayne. 

Plant-based and sustainability enthusiast Sedona Christina also has a podcast and Youtube channel that strives on intentional living. 

Sourced from SedonaChristina.com

Her videos cover basic guidelines on how to live low waste. She generalizes her life around living plastic-free and demonstrating eco-friendly alternatives that strive towards being green. 

“I don’t call myself an environmental activist. I’m just a human living my life,” said Christina. Aside from sharing why fast fashion is bad, she promotes spending on ethical and fair trade clothing instead. 

“Everything is relative to the privileges that you have. It’s better to have a million people making small changes than to have one,” said Christina

was born in the burrows of Los Angeles, California and grew up in the San Fernando Valley. Currently studying Political-Science Journalism, she a news editor for the State Hornet at California State University Sacramento. She is usually found in bed with her cats or having philosophical conversations with her loved ones.