This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

This is a list for the adventurous at heart! Everyone has a favorite holiday film. Seriously, just go ask anyone you know and they will rattle off a long list of holiday films they love to watch. This list will (hopefully) not have any of those films. Included are Christmas films, a Hanukkah film, a Kwanzaa film, and a film just for all my secular folk.

Everyone should find something interesting and unique to watch for the holidays. Keep an eye on the ratings I give you! Some films may not be appropriate for all audiences.

1. Mixed Nuts: Comedy with a hint of Drama [PG-13]

This is a fun and wacky film starring Steve Martin with an appearance by (very young) Adam Sandler. It centers around a late-night call center at their busiest time of the year. With Christmas around the corner, the call center staff are very stressed about work and their personal lives. The more they try to help those who call them, the more wacky the film gets. There’s romance, awkwardness and lots of comedic silliness.

Who should I watch this with? This film is perfect to watch with friends and siblings. It has some adult themes, so keep that in mind!

*Watch the trailer here.

2. Scrooged: Dramedy with Elements of Fantasy [PG-13]

If you are looking for a modern interpretation of “A Christmas Carol”, look no further! This stars Bill Murray as a narcissistic t.v. executive who learns the true meaning of Christmas after being visited by the 3 ghosts. Deadpan humor and sarcasm are the bread and butter of this film. If you are looking for a holiday film that doesn’t take itself too seriously, this would be the best choice.

Who should I watch this with? You and your best friends would be the perfect audience. It can only be truly appreciated by a close group of people who can easily make up inside jokes referencing the film.

*Watch the trailer here.

3. Die Hard: Action & Thriller  [R]

Okay I know what you’re thinking, but hear me out on this. “Die hard” revolves around Bruce Willis’s character, John McClane, who has to save his wife and many others who have been taken hostage. This all happens during a company Christmas party. Plus, the theme of saving your family is a common one for holiday films. I’m probably reaching here, but I still count it as a holiday film!

Who should I watch this with? This is a fan favorite and classic film so anyone and everyone who is the suitable age to watch rated R movies.

*Watch the trailer here.

4. This Christmas: Comedy with lots of Drama & Romance [PG-13]

You will see lots of familiar faces in this film about a family that comes together to celebrate Christmas after 4 years apart. It stars Regina King, Idris Elba, Chris Brown and Loretta Devine. Devine’s character is the family’s matriarch who strives to unite her broken family.

This film shows a family that loves each other, but doesn’t agree on many things. Over the course of the film we see their trials and tribulations while they try to resolve their differences. It’s a relevant film that shows that no family is perfect, but it is filled with people who care about each other.

Who should I watch this with? While it is a PG-13 film with some coarse language and violence, this is a film for the family. There are some great life lessons that everyone can learn.

*Watch the trailer here.

5. The Hebrew Hammer: Raunchy Comedy [R]

Starring Andy Goldberg, this is the ultimate Hanukkah film about a private detective who must save Hanukkah from being destroyed by Santa Claus’ evil son. It involves every Jewish stereotype, so be warned it may not be for everyone. Even if you don’t have a lot of knowledge about Hanukkah or Judaism, you’ll still have fun watching this film.

*BONUS: Kwanzaa is important to the plot line, watch it to see how!

Who should I watch with? It being a film filled with dirty jokes and lots of sexual references, this would be a movie to watch with your closest friends. Make sure raunchy comedies are appropriate for everyone before watching!

*Watch the trailer here. Available on Amazon Prime Video

6. The Black Candle: Documentary  [N/A]

There are not many films that have Kwanzaa as the main theme, but this documentary discusses the history and cultural importance of Kwanzaa for people all over the world. It’s a beautifully done film and narrated by Maya Angelou. If you want to learn about Kwanzaa and its traditions, I highly recommend this film.

*If you want something light-hearted to watch, I recommend A Rugrats Kwanzaa.

Who should I watch this with? This is a film to be watched by all the people you can fit into the room. Knowledge leads to empathy and understanding. Spending some time this holiday season learning about another culture could benefit everyone.

*Watch the trailer here.

7. Edward Scissorhands: Fantasy/Drama with Just the Right Amount of Romance [PG-13]

This is not the film you think of when the holidays come around, but it is the perfect non-holiday film out there that is still appropriate for the season. Starring Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder, this film centers around the strange, lonely and kind Edward. Edward tries to fit into a society that misjudges him. With the film ending during Christmas time and Winona Ryder dancing in the snow, it fits in effortlessly with other holiday films.

This is a great film for those who don’t celebrate any holidays during this season, or those who find this to be a lonely time of year. Happy endings and scenes filled with holiday joy aren’t for everyone. This film gives new meaning to finding peace without having to fit into the conventional or traditional standards of the holidays.

Who should I watch with? This is a gorgeous film for the whole family, younger kids included. With lots of beautiful lessons about kindness, discrimination and finding peace within oneself, It’s a film perfect for all ages.

*Watch the trailer here.

Enjoy your holidays and the break from school!
To start off, my name is Shawntay Arroyo and I am the Senior Editor for the Sacramento State chapter of Her Campus. I am an English Major and I intend on getting my Masters in English Literature with an emphasis on the American Gothic. I want to go into publishing, hopefully as an editor, and will also pursue freelance writing. I love my books, a teapot full of Chai tea, rainy weather, and working on my bullet journal.