This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sacramento chapter.

If you’re native to Sacramento, then you know about the annual Free Museum Day. Did you know that there’s now a week-long celebration dedicated to this culture-filled day? Free Museum Day is held every year on February 2nd. This year, Sutter Health and California Family Fitness decided to expand on the fun and add more activities. From February 2nd until the 8th, there are new activities daily at different museums. Here is what each day of Museum Week has to offer!

Photo courtesy of Leticia Sanchez

Sunday (2/3)

• Noon to 4 p.m. – California Museum offers $5 admissions to explore Japanese American Programs
  • 10:30- 11:30 a.m. – Crocker Art Museum offers a Kids & Company Adventure which is an art activity for children 5 and older.
  • 11 a.m.- 3 p.m. – Locke Boarding House Museum offers a calligraphy demonstration at the Chinese School.

Monday (2/4)

• 11- 11:30 a.m. – The California State Railroad Museum presents a reading activity for children
  • 11 a.m.- 3 p.m. – Locke Boarding House Museum offers tours of their Chinese workers of the Transcontinental Railroad Exhibit 

Photo courtesy of Leticia Sanchez

Tuesday (2/5)

• Noon – 4 p.m. – Locke Boarding House Museum presents an oil painting demonstration with Ning Hao Impressionist master in the Ning Hao gallery.
  • 2 p.m. – California State Library will conduct special guided tours
  •  Noon & 1 p.m. – Crocker Art Museum will invite guests to explore Juan Carlos Quintana’s “Celebrating Hubris with Hijinx.”

Wednesday (2/6)

• 10:30 & 11 a.m. — Crocker Art Museum will offer The Love Tour where art becomes a focus for finding your inner voice and a means of cultivating self-care and appreciation.
  • 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Locke Boarding House Museum presents a painting on silk demonstration with Joy Kuo Master in the Locke Art Studio.  

Photo courtesy of Leticia Sanchez

Thursday (2/7)

• 6:30 p.m. – Crocker Art Museum will present a film screening of “A Better Life” starring Demián Bichir who earned an Oscar nomination.

Friday (2/8)

• 10:30 a.m. to noon (drop-in) — Crocker Art Museum will present an Artful Tot program where toddlers explore art making.
  • 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. – Locke Boarding House Museum will offer a free bookmark making demonstration with Joy Kuo Master in the Locke Art Studio.

Photo courtesy of Leticia Sanchez

As you can see, there are plenty of things to do this museum week with several events happening all week. For more information on which museums are participating and more about the events they are holding, check out the official website. There are also plenty of restaurants in the surrounding areas participating in giving discounts to museum-goers. If you don’t get to participate in this year’s Museum week or missed out on Free Museum Day, worry not! Next year will come in the blink of an eye and by then you’ll be prepared!

Leticia is a Campus Correspondent and graduating senior at Sacramento State University. She majors in Sociology and minors in Journalism, hoping to one day serve justice whether that be through writing articles, engaging in social studies, or both. When she isn't racking her brain for pitches on her next story, she's probably taking pictures with her Nikon D3300 while listening to the latest Real Friends album.