Culture > News

Your Artist Friends Are Begging You…Please Wear a Mask

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

We’ve established that 2020 has sucked so far, as we enter into the ninth month of this seemingly endless year of bad news, we know that every industry has been affected in some way. However, it is time we start talking about the live entertainment industry and the devastating, career ending, bankruptcy claiming events which have been thrust upon it.

I write this article as a theatre practitioner and performance studies student anticipating graduation this spring. As the months of lockdown and social distancing dwell on, I have painstakingly watched each one of my post-graduation plans fall apart; ‘Plan A’ was to take a year off to do a Disney International College Program with Walt Disney World Entertainment (the Disney College Program is cancelled indefinitely, not to mention almost all of the live entertainment at Walt Disney World has ceased, with approximately 28 000 cast member layoffs), ‘Plan B’ was to board a cruise ship and work with world class international entertainment teams (all major North American cruise liners remain anchored with very little knowledge of when they will set sail) and ‘Plan C’ was to stay practicing theatre in Toronto (while Toronto theatre companies have very engaging online activities and programming, they do not require the workforce that live entertainment demands.)

Though what is even more frustrating and disheartening than watching my dreams crumble while powerless to stop them, is talking to people outside of the live entertainment industry about what is going on. It seems that every time I bring up my overwhelming anxiety about the current demise of live entertainment to someone who is not an artist they inevitably say “stay positive, theatre will come back, don’t worry.” This is infuriating for two reasons: 1) by saying this the person is invalidating all of my emotions and attempting to sway me into false hope despite knowing nothing about the practices of live entertainment, and 2) usually the person I am talking to has no concept of physical distancing practices and thusly directly impacts and prolongs my situation.

Obviously this is a generalization, but it is also intensely personal. The longer people choose to ignore social distancing and mask wearing precautions means more time the live entertainment industry must wait to come back, and we are running out of time. With most theatre venues closed until at least 2021, and concerts and festivals postponed until further notice, there is no hope to continue until large gatherings are again permitted and this will not happen until we achieve social solidarity (re: mask wearing, washing our hands, and staying home whenever possible). Watching my non-entertainment industry friends post Instagram stories of brunches cheerily tapping ‘closer-than-6-feet-apart’ mimosas, or having friends tell me about their newest Tinder adventure with an absolute stranger, or seeing peers play recreational team sports indoors without masks on, is all devastating because it signifies that not only do they not care about the current state of public health, but they also have not comprehended how severe this situation is for such a massive and important industry. It feels selfish and unfair that they can continue to live life under false pretenses of normalcy while I and so many others must patiently wait in the wings to return to a life we can hardly remember.

Our society needs artists to exist. There is nothing to be compared to the experience of live performance, whether it be listening to a favourite band for the first time or watching the meticulous movements of professional dancers. The live entertainment industry provides necessary societal function, and we are tired of sitting on the back burner waiting to return to our art. So please, we are begging you: wear a mask, stay inside, wash your hands, practice safe physical distancing or the events and shows you love may never return in the way you once knew.

*You can read the twitter thread that inspired this article here*

Caroline Rodway

Toronto MU '21

Caroline is a fourth year student at Ryerson University studying Performance: Production & Design! She is a self-proclaimed Coke Zero Enthusiast, Proud Virgo, and INTJ. On her days off you can find her on her yoga mat, exploring the wilderness, or writing her next article. She is looking forward to the resurgence of all things theatre and until then will be patiently waiting to return to the backstage.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.