This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Everybody loves a good face mask — I don’t know about you, but I tend to feel a whole lot cuter (and bougier) once I’m done with my weekly mask. But here’s the thing — some days, you’re too tired to put on a paste on your face, wait for it to dry, and wash it off. Other days, you’ve run out of sheet masks that are your quick, effortless go-to. What if there was something that was a better option than both of those? Cue overnight sleep masks, the beauty world’s latest obsession.

What are they?

Pretty self-explanatory, it’s in the name. Overnight sleep masks are the last step of your night-time skincare regimen. You put on the mask right before you go to bed, and let it work its magic overnight.

How does it work?

Overnight masks are designed to help ingredients seep into your skin over a longer period of time. Sleep masks usually contain hyaluronic acid and retinol, which act as hydrating agents, and are non-comedogenic, which means they allow your skin to breathe while not clogging your pores. The mask acts as both a barrier and a sealant, by preventing dirt and dust from settling into your pores all the while locking in all the good stuff.

Why should I use one?

Simply put, it’s a much quicker way of getting your weekly masking done. But, one of the main pros of using an overnight sleep mask is the crazy amount of hydration it gives your skin. I personally find that I wake up the next morning with plump, dewy, and dare I say, glowing skin!

Which one should I use?

While there are very many great options on the market and a little research could go a long way helping you pick the right one for your skin type, here are some of my personal favorites:

Laneige Water Sleeping Mask

Belif Aqua Bomb Sleeping Mask

Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Overnight Hydrating Mask

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Overnight Gel Mask

Clinique Moisture Surge Overnight Mask

Trust me and take the plunge because your skin will thank you. Start browsing and find the perfect overnight sleep mask that gives beauty sleep a whole new meaning to you. Happy shopping!

Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.