This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I think it’s safe to say that 2020 was a bit of a mess in terms of, well, everything. We lost a lot of lives to COVID-19 and we also lost a lot of influential people: Chadwick Boseman, Naya Rivera, Alex Trebek, Dawn Wells, David Prowse and many others. They will be forever missed and their legacies will be carried on for generations to come.

Now without further ado, let’s take a look at what 2021 has in store for us!

Movies

Here are some of the most anticipated movies of 2021.

Nomadland (Feb. 19)

This film starring Frances McDormand already has rave reviews from critics and it has been nominated for all kinds of awards. It has even won the prestigious Golden Lion! McDermond plays Fern, an American wanderer who travels west. It also features real-life nomads Linda May, Charlene Swankie and Bob Wells. With the pandemic, the general public wasn’t able to watch it at the Golden Lion film festival but finally, the film will debut in theatres on Feb. 19, 2021, and will simultaneously be released on Hulu!

A Quiet Place Part II (April 23)

A post shared by Nakila (@duhnakilaart)

The second part of A Quiet Place (2018) is coming out in the next couple of months… if there aren’t any more delays due to the pandemic that is! The first movie was a hit, it grossed over $340 million worldwide and received raving reviews for atmosphere, direction, acting and sound design. In this second part, we can expect the Abbott family to go away from home and meet up with other survivors in an apocalyptic world where monsters hunt prey with only sound. Box office expectations are high for part two!

Black Widow (May 7)

Disney plus on tv on stand showing disney plus
Photo by Marques Kaspbrak from Unsplash
More than a year after the original release date, Disney will finally be releasing this Marvel movie on May 7, 2021. Starring Scarlett Johansson, Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow is trained as a female assassin in Soviet Russia. She deals with her dark history as a spy and her shattered relationships long before she became an Avenger. 

Fast & Furious 9 (May 28)

Here’s another film that had the release date pushed back by a year due to the pandemic but we should be expecting Fast & Furious 9 on May 28! We can expect some characters from past sequels to come back, including Dom’s sister Mia played by Jordana Brewster and Ramsey played by Nathalie Emmanuel. The Walker brothers have also been rumoured to be returning to play Brian but it has yet to be confirmed since there was a send-off for the character in the seventh movie for late Paul Walker. The biggest surprise and newcomer is John Cena, who is said to be playing a “badass” character and Dom’s mysterious brother. This is going to be big!

Morbius (Oct. 8)

Marvel logo
Photo by Elijah O\'Donnell from Unsplash
So much Marvel is expected for 2021! This Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel movie was set to be released on March 19 but with COVID-19 delays, it has been pushed to Oct. 8. It stars Jared Leto (Michael Morbius) as a vampire but not in a traditionally undead way. He gets his abilities through an experiment that went wrong, and much like Deadpool, he’s an antihero. This will be the connection between the Marvel Comic Universe, Spiderman and the Venom movie. The cast also includes Matt Smith, Jared Harris and Tyrese Gibson.

Spider-Man 3 (December TBD)

A man in a spiderman costume reads the newspaper on top of a building
Pexels

Yet, another Marvel release is expected this year! With multiple setbacks, fans are hoping this will be the last delay of this film with the release set to December 2021. The currently-untitled third movie is expected to have several returns of characters from many of the past Spider-Man movies. Nothing official has been revealed about the plot yet but Doctor Strange could be in the movie helping out Spider-Man. Fans are guessing they could be drawing from other comic storylines but for now, we wait!

TV Shows

With COVID-19 delays, a lot of series have yet to determine their release dates but here are some shows that are anticipated to come out this year. 

WandaVision (Jan. 15)

Marvel’s newest TV series, WandaVision, recently came out with episode one and two being available to stream on Disney+ as of Jan. 15. This show has a sitcom-like setting, black-and-white formatting AND… a live studio audience! This follows the events of Endgame for Vision and Scarlet Witch plus, we’ll be seeing some Marvel-regulars from Thor, Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel.

Euphoria special episode two (Jan. 24)

While fans are waiting for season two, HBO decided to release two special episodes. The first one was released on Dec. 6 and the second one is set to debut on Jan. 24. This episode will be about Jules looking back on the year over the holidays. 

Loki (May TBD)

Disney+ on iPhone
Photo by Mika Baumeister from Unsplash
If you are into Marvel, you know what happens in Infinity War but Loki will be focused on an alternate version of the villain from Endgame. Kevin Feige, the president of Marvel Studios, described Loki as a “crime thriller” according to Digital Spy. With the release being on Disney+, it seems like he will be able to travel anywhere in space and through time. How exciting!

Gossip Girl sequel (TBD)

This reboot of the hit 2000s show will make its debut on HBO Max showing a new generation of rich and popular prep-school teenagers. The Metropolitan Museum of Art will once again be a staple in this show, as well as the Constance Billard School. Kristen Bell, original cast member, is set to narrate the series. As for the rest of the cast, more people of colour were included in this sequel. There will be ten episodes and I’m sure we will all be binging it in just one week! 

You season three (TBD) 

You is officially coming back for season three this year! I won’t lie, it was kind of hard seeing Dan play the role of Joe Goldberg but nonetheless, it was an amazing show and I watched both seasons in one week. After suffering a delay due to the pandemic, they resumed production in November 2020 with plans to come out this year. Season three will follow the murderous couple as well as a… pregnancy? Both seasons one and two were based off of books written by Caroline Kepnes and she recently confirmed that her third book You Love Me is set to launch in April 2021!

And with that my friends, we have a lot in store for us this year entertainment wise. Hopefully that also means more positive energy for this year and no more COVID-19 but I think we’ve learned our lesson from last year: don’t get our hopes too high because you never know what could happen. Wear your mask and please follow your community’s restrictions! 

Darya Soufian

Toronto MU '23

Darya is a second-year journalism student at Ryerson University. Her hometown is Hamilton, Ontario but she feels like her new home, and possibly forever home, is Toronto! Darya is hoping to get lots of experience and skills from writing from Her Campus that she can use in her future career as an investigative journalist (hopefully). Her intentions for being a journalist is to acknowledge the changes and impactful events that happen across the world, Darya wants to keep everybody informed so we can take one step at a time towards a bigger change. She hopes to make a difference in her community and hopefully, one day, the world!
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.