This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

We all have our own unique morning and nighttime routines. Or a certain part of the day where we take a break to relax and switch our minds off of our work. Maybe it’s a walk, a short meditation, journaling, reading a book, turning on Netflix. Whatever it may be, it’s always something you look forward to. Something grounding and engaging and sets your mind up to face the rest of the day in an inspiring and productive way. 

Every morning I have my own specific routine that I never stray from. It’s something that I look forward to waking up everyday to. As the world slowly wakes up, so does my inbox. Something I used to dread, but now am excited to sit down with my cup of coffee and sort through the emails that come in. In the past, my inbox would only fill up with bothersome emails that I threw straight in the trash. Nowadays, I am receiving inspiring and entertaining newsletters every morning that set me up for the day ahead. 

Online newsletters have become increasingly popular as they are a great way to relay information in creative ways. We all get sick of reading, seeing, or listening to the same news stories over and over again, so why not change that. Finding unique and curated email newsletters can expand our knowledge and passions, and can lead to new interests. 

However, email newsletters can be very hit and miss. But part of the fun is finding subscriptions that you actually enjoy and relate to. As you build up your library of newsletters, why not set aside a part of your morning, afternoon or evening routine to sit down and read your personal curated news stories for the day. 

Here is a list of free, unique email newsletters that are worth subscribing to and definitely worth letting clog your inbox. 

Morning Brew

A fantastic daily newsletter sent to your inbox every morning around 7:00 AM. Morning Brew is considered a business newsletter for the average millennial made by students, for students. But it’s not just for the stock market enthusiasts or Wall Street professionals. This newsletter actually makes you want to read about the latest headlines, stock markets, and broader industry recaps. Morning Brew is a great way to expand your knowledge base in different industries while engaging in the latest headlines through an entertaining and often humorous newsletter! You also receive daily games, trivia questions, and the opportunity to win free swag. Subscribe here. 

Hurdle

Created by Emily Abbate, Hurdle is not only a weekly newsletter sent every Friday morning, but it’s also a well known wellness-based podcast. Emily is a writer, editor, creator, and a certified fitness fanatic. She created Hurdle to bring you stories, lessons, and motivation from amazing guests and naturally herself. The podcast gives out three episodes every week. Hurdle’s weekly “5-minute Friday” newsletter consists of a 5-minute read blog post, a thought prompt to take you into the weekend, and interesting content picks from the week. Definitely a staple in your library. Subscribe here.

Below The Fold

If there’s one hard-news-newsletter that you should sign up for, it’s this one. In the crowded world of news, a lot of important stories are left untold. This is where Below The Fold comes in. It’s a weekly newsletter sent out every Wednesday or Friday morning (your choice) delivering a curated list of news stories that you wouldn’t hear of anywhere else. Stories that get lost in the abyss. If you’re tired of reading the same headlines, then definitely consider this fantastic newsletter. Subscribe here.

Mark Manson

From the famous author of “The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck”, Mark Manson delivers a weekly newsletter every Monday morning. “Mindf*ck Monday” gives readers three big ideas in a short read to start off your week in a thought provoking way. Don’t pass up this newsletter from the blunt and hilarious life enthusiast writer. Subscribe here.

The Universe

One extremely unique newsletter that everybody should consider subscribing to is receiving messages from “the universe.” Personalized with your name, goals, and dreams, subscribers get to choose which day and time they receive unique emails sent to them by “the universe.” Definitely an inspiring and uplifting way to start or end your day with some motivation from the world surrounding you. Subscribe here.

A few other options:

Roll Call

A newsletter to deepen your anti-racism knowledge and awareness. Subscribe here. 

Flaura

A complete female written newsletter sent every weekday evening. Subscribe here for this chique lifestyle “Bedtime Bloom” read.

The Skimm

Very similar to Morning Brew and worth signing up for here.

Allegra is a third-year Sport Media student at Ryerson University. Growing up living between a hemp farm and the waters of Georgian Bay, her life is strongly centred around the outdoors and environment. Allegra is constantly immersed in sports, sailing, all things health and fitness, while trying to inspire the community. Ambitious in journalism, her dream is to travel the world following her passion for writing, sports, and the outdoors.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.