Medicine cabinet packed full of skincare products
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

The Do’s and Don’ts of Moisturizers for Dry Winter Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I tired them so you wouldn’t have to

With winter approaching, moisturizers are becoming more important than ever. I tried these five products to repair and soothe my dry skin. Here are my thoughts and recommendations.

Glossier- Priming Moisturizer 5/5 Stars

Priming Moisturizer is my morning go-to, leaving my skin fresh and glowing each day. The lightweight, buildable formula includes an Anti-Redness Complex and oxygenating agent which help to soothe the skin and create a dewy look. The cream evens skin texture, decreases redness and creates hydrated skin. I attribute the improvement in my complexion primarily to this cream. I would recommend this product to anyone seeking moderate hydration, whether day or night. 

Available here 50ml for $34 CAD

Glow Recipe- Watermelon Glow Pink Juice Moisturizer 1/5 stars

Watermelon Glow Pink Juice Moisturizer includes a vitamin and amino acid-rich watermelon extract, hyaluronic acid, and peony and jasmine extracts. The included antioxidants shield the skin and repair damaged cells while plumping the skin. That being said, I would not recommend this product as the thin formula left my skin irritably wet and created a sticky film on my face. I did not find the formula hydrating or long-lasting.

Available here 60ml for $49 CAD

Laneige- Water Bank Moisture Cream 5/5 stars

Water Bank Moisture Cream is my personal favourite for extremely dry skin and a hallmark of my nightly routine. The rich moisturizing cream is formulated with mineral-rich vegetable extracts which help to strengthen the skin’s moisture barrier and create a hydrated, balanced complexion. This product is extremely nourishing and deeply hydrating. This is the perfect reparative product for a cold winter night. 

Available here 50ml for $63 CAD

Milk- Vegan Milk Moisturizer 2/5 stars

Vegan Milk Moisturizer’s fragrance-free formula is made with a blend of vegan milks. The product is nourishing and hydrating and leads to softer, smoother-looking skin. While the product is long-lasting, I found it initially sticky and slow to absorb into the skin.  If you’re looking for a vegan, cruelty-free product, this one will do the job, but I wouldn’t stop looking for an alternative. 

Available here 48ml for $48 CAD

Forth Ray Beauty- Face Milk 3/5 stars

Face milk is a unique product with a variety of formulas available based on your skincare needs. The thin, creamy texture conditions skin for a softer, healthier-looking complexion. While I did find long-term improvement from this product, I found it left a residue on the face and I preferred to use it at night because of this. I would recommend this as an affordable option but would opt to use it in conjunction with other moisturizers.

Available here 30ml for $17 CAD

🥰 Related: 3 Korean Skin Care Products You Need to Try
🥰 Related: 5 Makeup Must Haves for Fall
Nalyn Tindall

Toronto MU '25

Nalyn is a second year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University, originally from Camrose, Alberta. She is loving living in Toronto and can often be found exploring the city with her friends. When not at a concert or finding new places to eat or take photos, she's probably watching videos or listening to music. She has a love of house plants, her cat, and snacks, as well as a passion for politics and social change which have inspired her to pursue journalism.