This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Don’t you love the holidays? The lights, Christmas, cozy sweaters, and exam season! Okay, maybe not that last one, but we have to deal with it so might as well include it. I don’t know about you, but I never know where to start with studying or how to get myself into the groove of things. But as exam seasons come and go, I’ve figured out what works best for me, and who knows, maybe you’ll get something out of it too! 

Your phone. Your lovely phone that connects you to everything. Your precious possession that you can’t imagine living without – put it away. Place it on “Do Not Disturb” mode and get it away from you for the time that you’re studying. You’re gonna stick it next to you, thinking you’ll be fine and won’t get distracted by notifications, but before you know it, you’ll find yourself an hour into scrolling through TikTok, not having looked at your notes once. 

This may be weird, but if I don’t have something playing in the background while I’m studying, I get distracted. I don’t know what it is, but the silence makes me space out and I can’t focus on anything. I have to put on a playlist or some show and have that in the background while I study, or I’ll never get anything done. It can’t be classical music either; that’s too mellow for me to focus. This tip is very different for everyone though. I know a lot of people who have to be in complete silence or else they can’t focus, and any music that isn’t classical will distract them. So try this out but know it may not work well for you.

Keep in mind your study workspace. Do not study on your bed – you’ll never get anything done. Your brain associates your bed with rest, and you just won’t be your most productive self there. Plus, it’s not comfortable to study in bed. Get a small desk to study or go to the library, or a coffee shop, and make that your study space. A change of location might even do you some good if you’re feeling stumped and unmotivated. 

You should also pay attention to your times of studying. When do you feel most motivated to study? When are you most productive? Find that time, and schedule your studying around that. I personally can’t study at night. I like studying in the morning or afternoon, and if it’s a creative writing assignment, in the evening. See when you get the most work done, and designate the time as your revision time.

But mainly, make sure you take proper breaks, and don’t burn out. Ask for help when you need it and extensions if you can. Don’t stress yourself too much or strain yourself because you feel like you have to. It’s okay to rest and make sure your health is okay.

And remember, it’s just for a couple of weeks, maybe less. Then you can go back to your holly, jolly holiday!

Zeinab Fakih

Toronto MU

Hey, y'all!  My name is Zeinab and I'm a writer here for the Ryerson Campus. I'm opinionated and hyper and will definitly show that through my articles. Aquarius in Toronto and ready to write about all that comes to mind. Enjoy!
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.