Ryerson Toastmasters: 3 Events You Need to Attend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Do you get anxious when speaking in front a large audience? Do you avoid situations that require public speaking? Do you feel physical distress, nausea or panic when all eyes are on you? If you’ve answered yes to any of those questions then you may suffer from glossophobia – the fear of public speaking. Lucky for you, Ryerson Toastmasters is here to help. 

Ryerson Toastmasters is a student group that focuses on enhancing members’ public speaking skills through their internationally recognized education program. Members get the opportunity to work through various speech projects and take on leadership roles during bi-weekly member meetings. Listed below are the incredible events the Toasties host throughout the year. 

Power of Communication

During the event you will get the opportunity to learn how to positively communicate in the following scenarios: job interview, pitching a new idea to your team, selling a product and more!

– Event Details – 

Date: Monday October 24th 

Time: 6:30pm – 9:30 pm (registration begins at 6:00pm)

Location: TRSM 1003 (CPA Lounge)

Dinner will be provided

Toastmasters Open House 

Open houses provide the opportunity for guests to meet the Ryerson Toastmasters team, enjoy engaging speeches and participate in fun improptu speaking activities. 

– Event Details – 

Date: Tuesday November 8th

Time: [Session 1] 4:00pm – 5:30pm [Session 2] 6:00pm – 7:30pm 

Location: Launch Zone (SLC312)

Ryerson’s Next Top Speaker 

Ryerson’s Next Top Speaker is an annual public speaking competition where 8 hand-picked students from across campus will have the opportunity to push themselves by testing their respective speaking abilities through multiple types of speech scenarios, from quick impromptus to prepared speeches. This event is much more than just a speech competition. It provides students with an outlet to battle their fears, develop confidence, and win the prestigious title of Ryerson’s Next Top Speaker.

– Event Details – 

Stay tuned for more information! 

Thinking about becoming a member? Have a couple burning questions? Please email info@ryersontoastmasters.ca

Allie Zheng

Toronto MU

Allie is a third year Law & Business student at Ryerson University. She spends most of her time re-watching The Hills, Gossip Girl and The Mindy Project. Other times she'll often spend instagramming pictures of her dog named Dumpling. Follow Allie on Instagram @ahl33 to see pictures of Dumpling! 
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.