Profile: Cast of In Memory of Carmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

This week the Ryerson Community Theatre will be holding their annual festival— this year’s production is called OUTLAND. The show will consist of four locally written, directed, and produced preformances running from March 15-18, 2017 at the Aki Studio. OUTLAND will feature In Memory of Carmen, a melodrama about five strangers who are brought together by the death of a shared loved one. Carmen, a woman, whose “final wishes were for all of her past loves to meet and grieve together. By sharing their stories, [the audience] understands more about Carmen as well as the impact she’s made.” We sat down with Bronwen Spolsky, writer and director of In Memory of Carmen, alongside some of the actors: Tyler Rizzuto, Aidan Kokorudz and Michael Maksimenko to get a closer look at the show before its debut. 

Photo Courtsey: Facebook, Bronwen Spolsky

What sort of person would be interested in the show?

Aidan K: I would say that anyone who has grieved can relate to the show, but I think the audience is even broader than that. This show is very much character based. I think that everyone can find something to relate to with the characters, directly or indirectly. The show is a little mature in content, so not so great for kids, but the themes within the play are universal. Love and loss.

Bronwen S: In Memory of Carmen connects to anyone who has ever felt a deep connection with another person or has also experienced heartbreak. It is recommended that audiences are eighteen and up due to mature subject matter and profanity. 

What can audience members expect on opening night? 

Tyler R: Audience members can expect to be entertained! Each of the plays have an excellent storyline which really set up the great performances which are to come. There are twists, turns, laughs, in each of the plays, and those will really shine on opening night— as well as all of the nights! 

Aidan K: I think what people can expect is a broad spectrum of emotions and themes. Also from the perspective of acting , there will be a lot of energy on opening night. Everyone is just so excited.

Who is the funniest cast member in real life? 

Michael M: Me, obviously.

Aidan K: I think that everyone is so funny, probably because our rehearsals include everyone and rarely is there one on one work. If I had to pick one I would have to say MJ [Wright] makes me laugh the most.

Tyler R: That is an impossible question to answer, because every single person in my cast is hilarious outside of acting. When we are all together rehearsing, we laugh our heads off just because everyone in my cast has such bright personalities. You should see us all in a room together when we’re not practicing our acting. It’s a lot of fun!

Writer & Director: Bronwen Spolsky

Photo Credit: Leah Chan

In what ways do you relate or differ from your character? 

Michael M: Atticus is very quirky, awkward, and downright strange at times. I can definitely relate to that. Atticus has a lot going on behind his positive exterior though, and a surprising amount of depth.

Aidan K: I originally took the part of Jamie because I thought we were very much alike. We are both bisexual, we both think that we are hilarious, and I think both of us are reluctant to get emotional. But I think where Jamie and I differ mostly is that she is very cynical and I like to look on the brighter side of things.

Tyler R: I strongly differ from my character, but that’s good! It gives me an opportunity to expand my acting abilities and really try to achieve a goal of becoming an entirely different person on stage. The reason that I do not resonate with my character is because he is very rude, condescending, and thinks he is better than everyone else. I do not tend to have these characteristics.

Actor Tyler Rizzuto

Photo Courtsey: Tyler Rizzuto

What inspired you to write this play? 

Bronwen S: [I was inspired by the feeling you get] when you fall in love with someone who develop a connection and you see a different side of them that no one else sees. The main inspiration was that idea that we each bring out something different in one another. That doesn’t mean you will fully see who a person is but rather what they want you to see or your interpretation of them.

What challenges have you faced as a director?

Bronwen S: As a director the main challenge I faced was finding the healthy medium [which] allows the actor to provide their own spin on a character [and the urge to] control the actor, to be a vessel for the scripted character.  There is no easy solution, but it involves balance and lots of communication with the actor. I’ve found that discussing characters in depth and doing improvisation games in character helps combat this challenge

What’s the biggest challenge you faced taking on your role?

Michael M: The length of the plays means that much of the narrative and emotion must be delivered well, but in a short amount of time.

Aidan K: I have never done a dramatic role like this before so that was definitely tricky to get used to. Jamie also swears A LOT because she doesn’t have a filter and that took me a while to adjust to.

Tyler R: The biggest challenge I faced while taking on my role was getting into character and truly finding a way to play this person who was nothing like me. I am used to playing a very different kind of character which is the person who is usually the comic relief, corky, and not usually rude to the other characters in the play. Since that is the kind of character I’m used to acting as, it was difficult for me to play a completely different character who was rude and serious. Although this was the case, I received lots of help overcoming this obstacle from the RCT executive board, my cast mates, my stage manager, and most especially my amazing director and friend, Bronwen Spolsky. I am really happy with how the character has come to be, and I cannot thank each one of these individuals enough for the countless hours and effort they have put in to helping me achieve my goal of getting into this character’s mindset. 

Actress Aidan Kokorudz

Photo Courtsey: Aidan Kokorudz

If you could play any other characters in the show, who would it be?

Michael M: Nathan or Francis. Nathan because it’s always fun to play the lovable asshole. Francis because who doesn’t want to play the main character?

Aidan K: I think playing the character of Francis would be a very interesting experience. Francis is male role, but it’s a hypothetical so I don’t think that matters. However, I really love being Jamie, so I don’t think I could give her up for anyone else. 

Tyler R: If I could play another character in the play, I would probably like to play Atticus, a role currently […] played my good friend Michael Maksimenko, who is an excellent actor. The reason I would want to play this character is because he relates the most to the characters that I have played in the past. He is corky, likeable, and has a kind nature towards the other characters. 

How did you get into acting?

Michael M:  I started quite young at a second-language school and have been in pretty much any production I was let in since.

Aidan K: I have been acting in school productions since grade 7, but I don’t think I really got into it in high school. Acting was the only thing that kept me sane with all the stress that growing up has. 

Tyler R:  I got into acting through high school. I took drama in grade nine originally just to get the arts credit that we needed to have, but it was so much fun that I decided I must do it again in grade ten. Then I ended up taking grade 11 and 12 drama, and starred as a lead role for two of my school plays, “Harvey” and “Rumors”. Then I came to university and decided to get involved withthe Ryerson Community theatre. 

Is it harder to write or direct a play?

Bronwen S: Both directing and writing have their perks, but directing can be considered harder because it involves working with people yourself and a shared vision. At times opinions can clash and the director has to make hard creative choices that have to be beneficial for all and the production. It may also be difficult to coordinate actors time and rehearsal space. But all in all, [it] pays off to see an actor succeed is worth every moment as a director!

How can people get involved with the Ryerson Community Theatre? 

Aidan K. There is not really a process. If you know someone in the organization, than they can add you to the mailing list. You can also look them up on Facebook and message them directly. Being a part of the mailing list is helpful when it comes to knowing when auditions are or if you have any questions on how you can contribute in your own way.

Bronwen S: A great way to get involved with Ryerson Community Theatre would be to attend their first meet and greet they hold in first semester on campus. It would also be great to like Facebook Page or follow their instagram page @ryersoncommunitytheatre. The board members, creative team and actors are helpful and very friendly! So approaching them is a great way to contact the company as well. 

Tickets are on sale online and can be purchased here 

Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH