Culture > News

Over One Million People Estimated at Anti-Brexit March in UK

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

An estimated one million people marched in London, UK on March 23 in an anti-Brexit protest. The march comes after more than four million people signed a petition in favour of a second people’s vote on Britain’s European Union (EU) membership.

Celebrities, senior MPs and people vying to remain in the EU took to the streets and stage to show their support for finally putting a stop to Brexit after three years of negotiations.

(Photo by Sophie Green)

This comes days after Theresa May was granted an extension on Brexit by the EU.

President of the European Council Donald Tusk said that until April 12, “All options will remain open and the cliff-edge date will be delayed.”

The protest took place six days before Britain was originally supposed to leave the EU. Protesters met at Park Lane, London and walked almost 2.5km, all the way to Parliament Square, Westminster. Speakers began at 2:00 p.m.

(Photo by Sophie Green)

On the stage at Parliament Square, MP Anna Soubry, who recently left the Conservative Party to join The Independent Group, claimed her constituents do not know what the future holds for them. “This cause is bigger than one Party,” she said.

The Independent Group: Because of Theresa May’s poor Brexit strategy and divides in the Conservative and Labour parties, several MPs from both sides left their relative parties and formed The Independent Group in February 2019.

Conservative MP and former secretary of state for education Justine Greening explained that this was not the Brexit the people were sold.

Former Green Party co-leader Caroline Lucas declared it should be put to the people.

“The whole strategy of this prime minister has been to beg and bribe MPs to change their minds,” Lucas told the crowd at Parliament Square.

Labour MP David Lammy called for Theresa May’s resignation.

“If she loses again and doesn’t give us a People’s Vote, she must go,” he said. “The next few days are crucial for the country. I hope the people running it are listening.”

With a final extension and over four million signatures on a government petition to hold another referendum, Theresa May’s next steps will be the most crucial yet.

Donald Tusk, president of the European Council suggested that revoking Article 50 is an option for the United Kingdom. Brexit is starting to seem like a distant, unattainable goal that might bring into question the relationship between the government and public and the failings of the democratic system in Britain.

Amelia Green

Toronto MU '20

Exchange student from London, UK currently studying at Ryerson. Movie fanatic, aspiring musician, video editor and feminist.