This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

One of the most unique experiences to come out of social distancing and our subsequent move to the digital world is the virtual concert. At the start of the lockdown, virtual concerts happened everywhere. Artists of all genres held ‘intimate’ style jam sessions, usually over Instagram live, featuring stripped-down versions of their biggest hits from the comfort of their home to ours. These ‘concerts’ were free and lifted our spirits as we stayed trapped inside. The intimacy of these sessions created a sense of comfort to spectators worldwide, proving that no matter what, music will always find a way to connect us.

As restrictions continue to tighten around the globe and concert tours are continuously being postponed, the music industry continues to adapt to provide entertainment, while still attempting to bring in some kind of profit. So, we wave goodbye to the days of the intimate and free Instagram live jam sessions, and say hello to the new age of the virtual concert experience. Over the past few months, I have enjoyed several virtual concerts, from classic artists like Josh Groban to James Bay, to re-connecting with my pre-teen pop-punk favourites like Mayday Parade or Marianas Trench; I even have a ticket lined up to watch the Trans-Siberian Orchestra later this month. I have definitely noticed some huge perks to the online concert experience, as well as a few major downfalls.

The best thing about online concerts is being able to enjoy my favourite artists from the comfort of my own home. Living in Toronto, it is not uncommon for venues to sell out if an artist is popular or for an artist to skip the city altogether if they are stopping at another major city in the province. A digital concert allows for a larger virtual capacity, so I don’t have to worry about a concert selling out before I can get a ticket, and I don’t have to worry about travelling to another city just to see the show. Also, enjoying the concert from my couch means that there are no worries about the view. I have been to general admission concerts where I have stood in line for hours just to ensure that I got to stand close to the stage, only to have someone super tall stand right in front of me and block my view for the whole show; at home, this is not an issue (and I am so grateful).

Unfortunately, most virtual concerts also come with some unavoidable troubles. Some of my favourite parts of an in-person show are the moments in between songs, where the artist catches their breath and talks to the audience, sometimes offering fun stories of past shows in other cities, the backstory to specific songs, or even jokes between band members. In the virtual concerts, I have attended so far, this aspect of the audience to performer relationship is missing. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to perform to an empty theatre, so I don’t want to ask for too much, but I definitely find myself missing that feeling of connection that only happens in-person. Something else that is an unavoidable struggle with anything virtual is the technical difficulties. Most online concerts are pre-recorded live streams, which eliminates the possibility of the artist having tech issues, however, the streaming can still cut out, or delay so that the audio does not match the video. Technical difficulties are frustrating and make me miss the ease of live concerts, where all I had to do was stand there and enjoy the music. A time where I didn’t have to worry about whether or not my wi-fi connection was strong enough to get me to the end of the show.

I am grateful that the music industry has found ways to bring us entertainment in these troubling times, and I will be enjoying a few more concerts in my PJs. But I cannot wait to be pressed shoulder to shoulder against random strangers, having a bass amp cranked so loud I can feel it in my chest, and breathe in the scent of stage smoke while watching my favourite band take the stage, live. 

Caroline Rodway

Toronto MU '21

Caroline is a fourth year student at Ryerson University studying Performance: Production & Design! She is a self-proclaimed Coke Zero Enthusiast, Proud Virgo, and INTJ. On her days off you can find her on her yoga mat, exploring the wilderness, or writing her next article. She is looking forward to the resurgence of all things theatre and until then will be patiently waiting to return to the backstage.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.