This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Halloween is around the corner and it’s time for you to get into the holiday spirit. What better way than to fill up on some nostalgic snacks for this chilly time of year? Here are the best 5 Halloween snacks that you have to have this October. 

Rice Krispies

The best thing about Rice Krispies squares is that you just can’t mess them up. All you need is a little butter, some marshmallows and of course the key ingredient: Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal.

But what’s even better about Rice Krispies is that they can be decorated into pretty much anything. They’re perfectly moldable and make the best snacks. 

Ingredients: 

2 tablespoon of butter

Half a package (10 oz., about 40) of your choice of marshmallows

4 cups of Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and then add marshmallows. Stir continuously until the marshmallows are completely melted. Remove from heat.

2. In a big bowl, add Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal and the melted marshmallows. Stir until well mixed.

3. Mold your marshmallows into any shape you would like and decorate them with icing. 

Sugar Cookies

Halloween sugar cookies will always be the ultimate spooky snack. These sugar cookies supplied your childhood with the best seasonal cookies there could be. My family and I would bake these all year round.

The iconic Pillsbury sugar cookie dough for Halloween has to be one of the go-tos for a quick and easy bake. They even come pre-cut. Pillsbury recently released a new safe-to-eat raw dough so that you can enjoy the dough just as much as the cookie!

Candy Corn

Now candy corn has to be the most loved or hated snack there could be. But for most Canadians, it has a place at home. Whether you’re buying it for trick-or-treaters or stocking up for the year, you can bet you’ll be snacking on some of these this October.

Other than their perfect Halloween colours, a taste of these bring back all the memories of your childhood Halloweens. 

Pumpkin Seeds

Pumpkin seeds might not be something you’re familiar with but trust me, if you’re carving pumpkins this Halloween, you have to save those seeds. Pumpkin seeds are considered to be the best side snacks there can be. Add a little bit of spice and bake them away and you won’t be able to stop yourself from finishing them off. Next time you go pumpkin picking, just remember you’re also getting a free little snack as well!

Candy Apples

Candy apples cured all of my sugar cravings when I was younger. They’re the best twist to ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away.’ Have a healthy apple with a nice sweet taste on top. Just grab a bag of apples, dunk them in some melted caramel, slam on a stick and there you go! A wonderful holiday snack.

Ingredients:

4 green or red apples

4 popsicle sticks

1 cup of sugar

1 cup of water

2 tablespoons of corn syrup 

Directions:

1. Insert the popsicle sticks in the top of the apples. 

2. In a medium saucepan mix sugar, corn syrup and water over medium heat. 

3. Bring to a boil and heat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms brittle threads. 

Dip the apple into the syrup by holding on to the popsicle stick. 

Place on a tray with wax paper to harden. 

Halloween is the perfect time for spooky treats and movies. So make sure to grab a few of these for your night of horror.

I'm a journalist studying at Ryerson University. I cover politics, education, community, women's health and how they interact with one another. Contact: reedah.hayder@ryerson.ca
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.