Meet Zaria Cornwall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By: Kourtney Meldrum

If your friends were going to describe you what would they say?

I think they would say I’m funny – I get that a lot.

I also get compassionate, emotional. I know that people say that’s a bad thing but I don’t think it is. I think it’s good to feel things. I feel things deeply and I think that’s also a good thing.

I think they would say I’m a nice person– I hope. That I’m kind and generous. That, you know, I’m a good person to be around; positive, good energy.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I follow a lot of YouTube channels and I think the reason that I’m so into it is the connections you can have with the YouTubers.

When someone talks about their troubles or something they’re going through, or when they’re doing tutorials on something you really want to learn and they look like you– it’s just a good way to see yourself and to hear a voice that represents you.

What are some your favorite spots in Toronto?

There’s this place called the Riddle Room, it’s like a game cafe. It has board games and escape rooms; I’ve been there so many times. So many times.

I try to introduce all my friends to it, because I want it to get really big, but at the same time, I want to keep it super small. I love it.

There’s this other place called Power Up Bar. So it’s a bar in the front, but when you go to the back they have video games, and they have snacks and stuff.

What’s one goal you’re working towards right now?

My personal goal is to be happy, but I think that’s everyone’s goal. To be happy. Just to live a happy life.

Why do you like writing for HC?

I really like being able to write about things I’m passionate about. Especially since I am part of a lot of intersectional identities, I think it’s important to talk about those things. I’m not necessarily a representative because I don’t really feel like I have to represent anything, but it’s just nice to say that this is my experience, and put out into the world how I feel about certain things and certain issues. I want other young black women and other young black kids to know that there is someone out there talking about this stuff that we all think about.

What are words you live by?

Something my dad says that he learned from someone else: Every day just is great, be your greatest self.

A lot of times people tend to just mull around and not do their best and I think it’s important to say that you always lived doing what you could, doing the greatest things you could do. Every day, be great.

Read what Zaria has to say on Her Campus Ryerson here.

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.