This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I was always very intimidated by Lush. Between the overpowering aroma that would hit me when I’d walk in the store and the employees eager to use me to fill their quota of product demonstrations, it was all just a little too much. I was always more of a Bath & Body Works kind of girl. 

But everything changed when I participated in Plastic-Free July this summer. Plastic-Free July is a global campaign that aims to educate people about the plastic waste crisis and encourage them to reduce their plastic consumption. When I pictured plastic waste, I would usually imagine plastic bags, water bottles, and because of that infamous sea turtle video, plastic straws. But the cosmetics industry is a huge part of our plastic waste problem, producing 120 billion units of packaging every year, most of which is non-recyclable plastic that takes hundreds of years to decompose.

Lush is one of the biggest sustainable cosmetic brands in the world. As this 99designs article states, “once you encounter their brand, you’re in no way surprised that they’re dedicated to going green.” From the natural ingredients in their products to their plastic-free or “naked” packaging to their charitable company initiatives, Lush integrates and prioritizes sustainability on many levels of their brand rather than surface-level “greenwashing.”

Since I didn’t have to brave their physical store, I thought I’d order some Lush products in the hopes of making my skincare and beauty regimens a little greener. I ordered mostly the basics- shampoo, soap, lotion, and a face mask for good measure. These products could replace what I was already using and hopefully become part of my daily routine. So, I filled my virtual shopping cart from the comfort of my unscented bedroom and set off on my mission to see if Lush products can be both plastic-free and practical.

As with any review, what works for me might not work for you, and vice versa. I have dry skin and wavy, frizzy hair, so heavier products with lots of moisture are a must for me! 

Seanik Shampoo Bar– 2/5 stars

This was the product that sparked this whole Lush experiment! Using products that come in a bar form was one of the top recommendations for Plastic-Free July, and Lush shampoo bars have gotten a lot of hype! According to Seanik’s description on the Lush website, their shampoo bars have saved 22.5 million plastic bottles from being produced since 2012. I can definitely see the appeal of the bars. They’re pretty to look at, come in a bunch of varieties, and seem like an easy alternative to your standard shampoo bottle. Seanik was one of their bestselling bars, and promised “big, beachy hair.”

I was surprised by how easy it was to use. The bar lathered quickly, was able to cover my mop of hair without issue, and it definitely had a distinct ocean scent. The problem happened when I started to rinse out my hair and I immediately noticed it was way too clean! I can only describe it as squeaky clean. Curly hair needs to maintain some of its natural oils in order to lock in moisture and avoid frizz, but there were definitely no oils left on my hair after this! Sure enough, once my hair dried, there was a halo of frizz where there hadn’t been before. So, I ended up pawning off this shampoo bar to my mom, who liked using it for a couple of months until she realized it was making her hair fall out more than usual… so take that as you will! 

I loved the idea of a shampoo bar and definitely want to try another in the future. In hindsight, I should have tried the Honey I Washed My Hair bar which seems to have moisturizing qualities, or maybe another product without the harsh sulphates used in the Lush shampoo bars. 

Sultana of Soap– 4.5/5 stars

Another bar product to save the sea turtles! I noticed that many other Lush soaps had citrus or tangy scents, so I was drawn to the description of Sultana of Soap that referenced both fruits and desserts (two pretty good things to smell like, if you ask me). Fortunately, my hunch was correct, and it does indeed smell really good, perfectly sweet without being sickly.

Sultana is not a big and bubbly type of soap. It definitely has a creamier texture when it’s lathered up, and it almost seems like it’s cleansing and moisturizing at the same time which I really enjoyed! Initially, I thought storing the soap would be annoying, but the square metal tin that Lush sells has worked perfectly for me so far. My only complaint is I wish the scent lingered a bit more. It isn’t very noticeable after it’s been washed off, however, my mom has remarked that the bathroom “smelled like a spa” after I used it. Switching to bar soap was probably the biggest habit that stuck with me from Plastic-Free July. There’s really no need for me to have a bunch of different body washes in plastic containers, so I’m going back to the bar.

Dream Cream Body Lotion– 4/5 stars

One of Lush’s “Cult Classics”, Dream Cream seems to be designed to appeal to the masses. It’s targeted towards sensitive or irritated skin and is loaded with a bunch of soothing ingredients like oat milk, chamomile, lavender, and tea tree oil. At first sniff, I wasn’t a fan of the smell. I remember thinking it was a little too sharp and more herbal than I would like. But the scent totally grew on me and I can now say that this is indeed a dream cream!

It’s a very reliable, all-purpose lotion. It works if you want full-body moisturizing but also if there’s a random patch of dry or itchy skin you need to calm down. The consistency is a bit thinner than I normally use, and just like Sultana, it would be nice if the scent lingered a bit longer. The smaller size only lasted me about two months using it a few times a week, so I ended up buying the bigger size to get me through this inevitably harsh pandemic winter. On the plus side, that smaller container was the first Lush product I finished, so if I ever do make it into a Lush store, I’m only four black containers away from a free face mask.

Cup O’ Coffee Face Mask– 3.5/5 stars

I’d say a pandemic qualifies as a time for peak self-care. So I thought now was a good time to invest in a good face mask (both types of face masks, actually). In the research I did for Plastic-Free July, I learned that the microbeads found in many scrubs and exfoliants were actually made from plastics and don’t break down very easily. Lots of them end up in our oceans and can be harmful to sea creatures that ingest them. So I was drawn to the fact that this mask uses coffee grounds as exfoliants. Plus, I weirdly really like the idea of being able to apply coffee directly to my face. I think my face deserves to be just as energized as I am after that first sip in the morning. 

In terms of smell, Cup O’ Coffee delivered on its name! It has a pretty strong coffee aroma, possibly even more noticeable than the actual coffee I drink. It’s a pretty standard mask, not too thick or too thin, and I found the coffee grounds to be just rough enough to exfoliate, but not rough enough to hurt me or cause damage. After rinsing it off my skin is always noticeably softer and fresher, and that effect usually lasts the rest of the day. 

The biggest problem with this mask is how difficult it is to wash off! I could rinse my face with water ten times in a row and there would still be coffee grounds lingering in a crevice somewhere (and all over my sink). Using a damp face cloth helps, but the coffee grounds leave stains. I started using it in the shower instead. It’s so much easier to rinse everything off without any concern for the mess, however, if it’s exposed even a tiny bit of water, the mask will start dripping off. So it’s not the most user-friendly, but it’s still worth finishing the pot for me.

That wraps up my Lush reviews for now! I think based on the products I tried, I’m pretty impressed that Lush is able to pull off being aesthetically and aromatically pleasing, legitimately sustainable, and effective. I’m glad that some of the things I learned and the new habits I picked up during Plastic-Free July are sticking with me and pushing me to switch up the products and routines I’ve been using for ages. Being a picky person with equally picky skin and hair, that’s not always easy to do, but this time around, it was worth it.

Honestly, Bath & Body Works could never.  

Ryerson Journalism student, writer, and popcorn enthusiast. Find me on Twitter @rietherie.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.