Introducing Elizabeth Chokler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By Jemma Dooreleyers

She’s known in the Her Campus community as the skin care expert (and our saviour!) and the go-to girl for her beautiful infographics. She’s small, stylish and is known to have a mug of tea in her hand at all times. But let me tell you, she is so much more than that. She has seen the world and she has stories to tell. But don’t let me hog all of her spotlight, this is Elizabeth Chokler and let her tell you for herself.

Where are you from?

I come from Oakville; I commute from there. But background wise, it’s funny, I was born in Israel but my parents are from Russia. So they moved to Israel, had me and then moved here. I was two when moved here so I don’t remember it at all.

What is something that people wouldn’t know about you?

I don’t know if anything about me is surprising because I am so open. People ask me questions and I answer them. But I guess the fact that I used to have really really bad acne. I’ve gone through two rounds of Accutane.  That pretty much ended before I started here so people here might not know that. Plus I’m super into skin care and that is all I write about now for Her Campus (bless!) so that might be a fun fact. My skin was not always decent.

What are your top 3 favourite things at the moment?

Oh boy. I don’t know. I love so many things! Gosh. I suddenly forget everything in my whole life. In general terms I like plants, I like tea and I like cute things. I like puppies. That’s it. I like plants and tea and puppies.

If you had a $1000 of disposable income, what would you buy with it?

I would probably upgrade my phone. Not to the iPhone 10, but the iPhone 8. That’s what I would do. Or transform my wardrobe into something I like better. It would be have to be one or the other though. I wouldn’t be able to afford both.

What is your favourite store at the Eaton Centre?

There’s a store called Saje; it’s a natural wellness store. It’s really cool. They have all of these natural skin care products and other wellness things like essential oils and incense and that all that good stuff.

Do you have any secret talents?

I can move my eyes independently from each other. I freak people out. It’s my party trick.

What is your favourite comfort food?

Mac and cheese.

Do you have a favourite book?

I don’t have a single one, no. I’m currently reading Finger Smith by Sarah Waters and it is wonderful.  She is my favourite author right now.

What is a moment you will never forget?

I have lived so many moments. What is a particularly memorable moment that makes me sound interesting? When I was in grade 9, all of my friends and I went on a student trip to Paris and that was wild. We were 14 and 15 and all of our parents were okay with that. So that was really awesome.

What does your ideal future look like?

One in which I can afford a house. I need a future with dogs. I can’t think of an ideal career right now but as long as I’m doing something I can genuinely enjoy. That would be a really nice way to live I think.

Among these things, I also learned that Elizabeth goes travelling with her family every summer. Last summer she went to Amsterdam, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Germany and St.Petersburg and she has visited 23 countries in her lifetime. The place in the world that is on the top of her list right now is East Asia. She wants to go to China, South Korea and Japan above all.

Something that Elizabeth wishes her younger self had known is that there will always be opportunity  to  meet new friends.

I hope this did Elizabeth justice and that you believe, when I tell you that she is a smart, creative, wonderful girl. I hope you enjoyed meeting her almost as much as I did.

Photo courtesy of Josh Cameron

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.