This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Since the pandemic began, wearing masks has become a part of everyday life, and many people have opted to create their own reusable fabric versions. After wearing cotton and polyester masks for months on end, I started noticing that my skin was getting dry and irritated. For someone who has a number of skin concerns, including facial sensitivity and eczema, wearing a cloth mask had an increasingly negative impact on my skin. 

I did some research and discovered that companies were producing masks made out of mulberry silk, that were supposed to combat mask acne and other skin issues. Silk is a naturally cooling material and is hypoallergenic as well, making it ideal for those struggling with dermatitis or mask acne. Natural silk also acts as a natural filter and is effective in keeping particles from entering through the fabric. 

After around six months of consistently wearing cloth masks, I decided to give silk masks a try. I was pleasantly surprised that I noticed a difference in just a few days. My skin was less irritated and it was easier to wear for long periods of time. Because the material is cooling, my eczema wasn’t flaring up as much and I wasn’t having the usual reactions I was experiencing with cloth masks. The mask I got also had adjustable ear loops and a metal band at the top to secure around your nose for extra protection. Although silk masks are on the pricier side (the one I got was $28), for me it was worth it to keep my skin healthy and comfortable. I started thinking of it as important as wearing moisturizer or sunscreen and decided it was worth the investment. In an effort to support local businesses during the pandemic, I got mine from Ssilk Mask Co which is based in Toronto. There are a couple of other local businesses who also sell silk face masks. My favourites are Lala Hijabs and Clique, both which list the benefits of silk masks on their websites!   

In order for the mask to be effective, normal hygiene measures must be taken. Washing your mask with a gentle soap after every use and changing it everyday are essential in maintaining overall health for your body and skin. 

*These are not medical grade masks and should not be used to replace medical grade PPE. However, after the N-95 masks, silk masks are reported to be most effective in curbing the spread of viruses, compared to cotton and polyester masks.*

Asmaa Toor

Toronto MU '21

Asmaa is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson. You can usually find her spending time with her friends or trying out new glam makeup looks. She loves all things journalism and writes about just anything and everything, from beauty to business to current affairs. You can catch her on Instagram @asmaatoor.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.