This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

To be honest with you, I’ve always been a blue person. Blue is a colour I loved growing up, it reminded me of the ocean– a place I love to be. However, a recent discovery of my love for the colour green has grown on me during this pandemic, and I’ll tell you why. 

In March 2020, when the restrictions and lockdowns were just starting, I remember receiving news from my professor on a Friday evening that there was a high chance classes would be transitioning to online learning. I was confused; this felt so sudden to me and really bizarre. Later that day, it was confirmed that our courses will be taught virtually and it would remain that way until further notice. 

Here we are, almost a year later, still in the same place. 

I’ve learned to appreciate the little things in life more. This has pushed me to get out of my comfort zone and I started going on walks more to explore the great outdoors. Some days I would go to nearby hiking spots with my family and some days I would go on my own. This time alone gave me the opportunity to appreciate the beauties of nature and admire the greenery.

This was the start to where my love for the outdoors, nature and the colour green grew. Being in an environment where I was gathered by all things green brought a feeling of joy and serenity to me. During these moments I realized how happy greenery makes me feel, and thus, it became my happy colour! The green trees, the green plants, the green grass–green everything, it was so calming and grounding. Each hike and nature walk I went on allowed me to observe and appreciate nature even more and this soon became an integral part of my life. Hiking and walking is a hobby and interest I picked up as there was not much I could do during the lockdown. This is something that I am grateful for because I haven’t appreciated greenery in this sense ever before. My love for the colour green has taught me happiness and through this I was able to introduce myself to my very own safe haven. 

Through this realization, I was curious to find out if green spaces and greenery in general has an impact on other people. Maybe it’s just me? Maybe others feel this way too! According to an article written by Abigail Abrams from TIME, “research suggests that just about any kind of green space—from hiking trails and coastlines to soccer fields and local parks—can make you happier and boost your mental health.” I guess many other people benefit from being surrounded by green spaces, just like I do. 

The refreshing tranquility that comes with nature and greenery makes me want to travel all over the world to see more beautiful places. I hope this inspires you to take a walk outside and start appreciating nature and the small things around you – because I sure did. 

Now tell me, what’s your happy colour and what does it mean to you? 

Mithushana is a third-year student at Ryerson University. She moved to Toronto when she was 3-years-old from Frankfurt, Germany. Living as a Torontonian for the majority of her life, Mithushana has a special heart for Toronto. She enjoys the city lifestyle and fast-paced energy. Also a huge animal lover! With her strong passion for spreading positivity around the world and as an advocate for wellness and self-care, she wishes to use this platform to voice more goodness into the world. Aspiring to make a change through her writing.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.