Finding School Spirit at Ryerson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By: Sherina Harris

One of the first things I heard about Ryerson when I came here last year is that there is no school spirit. I kept this claim cautiously in the back of my head as I participated in orientation week events, watching Eggy the Ram dance at a basketball game and getting lost in the crowd on Gould Street. Amidst all of the blue, gold, and general excitement of frosh week, I wondered whether there was any truth to those statements.

This year, the Mattamy Athletic Centre is celebrating its fifth year anniversary. Part of the festivities was a men’s hockey marquee against Laurier, which took place last week. Despite having a very limited knowledge of hockey, I attended the game with one of my friends. During a particularly intense moment in the game, someone in the bleachers behind me started leading Ryerson chants.

I had forgotten that we had those chants, because I hadn’t heard them since orientation week. In that moment, when everyone in the arena was chanting and cheering on our Rams team, I didn’t doubt that Ryerson has any less school spirit than any other university.

Being a commuter school, Ryerson has its distinct difference from other universities. We don’t celebrate homecoming with crazy street parties, for example. I don’t think this means we lack spirit, though — we just show it in a different way.

Ryerson’s spirit lies in its sense of community, despite being a commuter school. There’s a reason we’re called a Ram-ily — Ryerson students share the unique experience of attending an urban university with hands-on programs and experiences. We also get to share the unique experience of struggling to catch an elevator in the SLC so, you know, yay for unconventional ways of bonding!

There’s a lot to get excited about at Ryerson, and this innovation also contributes to our school spirit. I don’t know about you, but I feel incredibly proud to be a Ram when I read headlines about Ryerson partnering with Facebook to open a digital news incubator, or opening a DMZ in New York.

So, back to that hockey game. It went into overtime, a fittingly exciting game to celebrate the MAc’s anniversary. Then the overtime period ended and the game went into a shootout. As I mentioned, I don’t know a ton about hockey — but I can tell you that towards the end of the game, the tension was as thick as ice (pun intended). Finally, a Ryerson player scored, and then the Laurier player didn’t and it was over. Ryerson won. Cheers erupted as fans waved blue and yellow t-shirts in the air. It was a tangible moment of school spirit that, at least in my mind, quelled any notion that Ryerson doesn’t have spirit. Go Rams!

Journalism student, blogger and cat lover.
Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH