Everything You Need to Know About Toners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By: Elizabeth Chokler

Do you know that toners exist but somehow have no idea what they actually are? Do they straight-up confuse you? Do you want to incorporate them into your beauty routine but are unsure where to start? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, I don’t blame you. With so many different toners out there, and disagreement around whether or not you actually need toners, thinking about them can be a headache. But it doesn’t have to be.

Here’s a guide I made to help you navigate the world of toners and (hopefully) find the perfect one!

Why tone?

Toners complete your cleanser’s job by removing any traces of dirt, makeup, oil, or even any residue left behind by the cleanser. They also contain active ingredients that address a variety of skin concerns.

What exactly are toners?

Toners are (usually) water-based liquids that purify your skin, clear out pores and bring an extra benefit or two to your complexion. The three main types of toners are humectants, astringents and anti-inflammatories.

• Humectants are ingredients that attract water and retain moisture. They’re great for hydration.

• Astringents are ingredients that tighten the skin and make pores look smaller by causing the tissues in your skin to contract. These are great for oily skin since they unclog pores and prevent them from producing as much oil.
  • Anti-inflammatory toners are made with only the most gentle ingredients and those that reduce redness and soothe irritation. They are perfect for sensitive skin.

Toner is the second step of a good skincare routine; use it right after your cleanser and before everything else.

What should I look for in a toner?

There are so many different toners out there for different skin types, you might not know where to start. If you don’t already know your skin, now is a good time to figure it out.

No matter what type of skin you have, the first things to look out for are alcohol, sulfates and acetic acid. These are often found in astringents since they’re really good at drying the skin, but they tend to over-dry and irritate the skin, which isn’t good for anybody.

If you’re looking for oil control and minimizing pores, witch hazel and tea tree oil are good, natural alternatives with astringent properties. Another thing to avoid are oil-based toners, but other humectants are great. In fact, if you use a toner with humectant ingredients, you may find that you can use it as your daytime moisturizer!

For hydration, oils like jojoba and rose hips seed, and other humectants like hyaluronic acid are very effective. If you have dry skin you should always avoid astringents.

If you have sensitive skin, avoid synthetic dyes and fragrances, including essential oils,  as they can cause irritation. Opt for toners with ingredients like chamomile, green tea and vitamin E which have calming and soothing properties instead.

Here’s a visual guide to toners and my recommendations to get you started!

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.