This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Hey, you. Before we get into the meat of the article, I just wanted to remind you that it’s okay to have an off day. This global pandemic has shifted ALL of our lives in unimaginable ways and it’s alright if you’re still trying to get the hang of things. I know I am! Beyond the words displayed across your screen is a message from me, to you, reminding you that you’re going to be just fine. Here’s hoping that this article is the sign you need to get both feet back on the ground and start this year off on the right track. 

Wanna give it a shot? Keep reading.

When it comes to online school, it seems like the general consensus is that everything is a lot harder. With that added challenge comes a lack of sleep and loss of motivation. I’m not ashamed to admit that I drink two batches of french press coffee a day while I’m staring at my course shells, panicking to find the weekly assignments that are scattered through the Content section of D2L. I’ve felt disoriented, unorganized and quite frankly, like I’m in a bad dream that I can’t wake up from; not to mention the daily headaches from the blue light rays of my screen, the claustrophobic feeling of working in an enclosed space and my neverending anxiety of failing. 

All that being said, it’s safe to say that my incentive to do well this semester was practically nonexistent, until I committed to the following strategies for success.

THE MENTALITY (part one) 

As with anything, you’re going to have to WANT to see a change in order to get it. Every progressive step in life begins with the mentality– the way you wake up, the way you deal with situations and the way you go to sleep at night. You have to crave those good marks and have your dedication come from within. It’s easy to curl up in a ball and coast through the semester, but that’s not a great work ethic if you want to be successful. You’re going to have to envision your goals, maybe write them down (did someone say, manifestation?) and convince yourself that you’re not going to slack off just because this semester is being taught virtually. If anything, you should see it as a challenge to try and do better than you did last year. Life is a game, and you’re the creator of your destiny!

MAXIMIZING YOUR SPACE

Some of us are fortunate enough to have large bedrooms or dining room tables with comfortable chairs. Others live in shoebox apartments in downtown Toronto and have to confine to smaller spaces. Oftentimes, the environment is the first point of focus when it comes to studying. Simply put, if you don’t enjoy the space you’re working in, you won’t have the energy to do work at all. 

For me, having a desk helps, but if you don’t have a desk it’s important to have a space you can make yours (at least for certain periods of time throughout the day). I always put on my humidifier and light a candle to relax. I also make sure the essentials are within reach: my water and coffee, my Airpods, chargers & any textbooks or notes that I might need for that class or study time. Make sure it’s a clean space & free from any bad energy. The more cluttered the space, the more heightened your anxiety will become.  

This is a simple step and sort of cliché, but the more you have to get up during your study session, the less focused you will become. I don’t know who needs to hear this, but your bed is NOT a good spot to study. I’m a firm believer that being in bed will make you more tired and in turn, take a toll on your productivity. What’s the point in spending two hours on an assignment that isn’t your best work, all because you were busy watching Gilmore Girls for the fifth time on another browser?

So tomorrow when you wake up, get out of bed after about half an hour and get on with your day. 

And on that note, start making your bed. I know you don’t, but I promise as soon as you start, it’ll make you feel a lot more productive. 

DELEGATING & TIME MANAGEMENT

Perhaps one of the most important yet difficult tasks is the efforts of delegating and properly time managing everything. Now, I know that some of us are in different time zones and some of us have extracurriculars and work we have to attend to. As a journalism student, I am the queen of “burnout”, but I think I’ve managed to figure out an effective way to get things done the best that I can. 

• Getting a desk calendar: This seems pretty stupid, but those big 14×16 calendars that sit on your desk? Yeah, get one of those. Your deadlines will practically SCREAM at you. I wasn’t convinced until I did it myself. 
  • Keeping track of work: Once I gave my manager my class schedule, she started scheduling me for specific days. That way, I know which days I’ll work generally each week and it gives me an idea of how far ahead I have to get on some assignments. I know myself, and I know what work I do best last minute and what work I need time to do. For example, my articles are all written and edited last minute, but a research proposal might take me a few days to prepare. I often work better under pressure, but it’s a good tip that works if you need more time for things!
  • Prioritizing: This one is important. If your French class is before your Linguistics class, maybe you should start on that homework, first! Always do the most important stuff first, where you can focus the majority of your energy. You can always leave smaller things like optional readings and note-taking until later in the night, when you have less energy but still feel the need to be productive! Get on top of your work earlier on too, so that by midterms you aren’t overwhelmed (even though we know it’s bound to happen, anyway.) 

By following these tips and making your goals clear everyday, you’re setting up your mind and environment for motivation. At times, it may look like you’ve taken on a lot on your plate, but allotting certain amounts of time to each area of focus will allow you to be less stressed and feel like you’re accomplishing more. 

Keep an open mind and do your best to manage your time while taking care of yourself. No, that doesn’t mean 15 minutes of homework and a 45 minute Netflix break, but hey, don’t forget to breathe. 

REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS 

This tip and the last go hand-in-hand, but as students it’s very important to have realistic expectations. This is how I see it: There are only 24 hours in a day, and obviously you’re going to need to eat and sleep at some point. With that comes picking and choosing what ABSOLUTELY needs to be done, and what can wait another day. 

I write down what I need to do in a day, adding in time to workout if I can, and if I work that day. I plan everything from the time I wake up, until the sun goes down, and I make sure I at least get three ‘bigger things done in a day. Writing down your daily goals will help you stay on track and hopefully push you to complete them; after all, there’s no better feeling than crossing off a task once it’s been done, am I right? 

I’ve often expected too much from myself, which can lead to damaging self-esteem and major burnout. It’s great to have high expectations, as you should, but remember that you’re only human and you can only do what you can. This doesn’t mean a long list of excuses as to why you couldn’t attend your Zoom lecture or finish that one paper, but it does mean being smart & kind to yourself. 

THE MENTALITY (part two) 

School days are long enough as it is, but with everything being online, it’s completely normal to get lost in all that’s going on. I cannot stress enough how important it is to focus. Just know that you’re working towards something and that something requires you to keep sight of what’s important. The time you devote to your work is time you need to spend focusing, so put your phone (and computer!) on Do Not Disturb, keep your space free of distractions and communicate with your parents. Tell them you just need to go do schoolwork, and I promise you they’ll understand. They want to see you succeed, too, so they won’t be bothering you. You have everything in front of you that you need in order to do well, you just need to focus on the task at hand and get things done. 

After a few hours, if you feel yourself losing sight of your goals, get up and go on a walk, or stretch. Do a quick workout or take a shower. I find that the longer I stare at a task, the more overwhelmed I get and the less competent I feel. That’s how you know you’ve been working for too long, but make sure you come back to it once you feel refreshed and rejuvenated! Think about how if the semester WASN’T online, you’d be on campus anyways, and use that as a reminder to keep going. Just because you’re at home doesn’t mean that this is going to be easy, and that’s something you’re going to have to remember to keep yourself focused and hustling. 

COMMITTING TO YOUR GOALS PUBLICLY 

This one is a step that very few take, but it’s one of my favourites and a huge key to success! Think of something you’re working on something that you really want to take off, (for myself, it would be the podcast that I currently co-host). According to a study conducted in early 2020, If your public reputation is something you hold to a high regard, then there is a greater chance of you reaching your goal the first time around and committing to it, so that your failure isn’t made public. 

In other words, it’s easier to slack off and lose hope in yourself if you keep your goals private. I understand that some people might not want everyone to know what they’re up to until the project takes off, which is completely understandable, but even telling your parents or a close friend might incentivize you to push forward and get it done. The odds of increasing your goals will be higher and your accountability will fuel your desire to succeed. It works every time! 

Those that know me know that I’ve always been a big hustler. I don’t often let anything stand in my way and I stay true to that. However, this semester has even begun to put me through a drag. The best thing you can possibly do is take it on with a positive mindset– we’re all experiencing the same thing, and there’s nothing we can do about it. You’re going to have to reach success because YOU want it this year, not because the campus environment or your peers are fuelling you to do better. This will be the real test of how bad you want it or not, and I really hope that you take that away from this article. Do your best, and remember that I’m always proud of you. After all, you’re living through a global pandemic. 

Madison Dolman

Toronto MU '22

Madison was born in Toronto, ON. Her addiction to online shopping is best fuelled by a high daily caffeine intake. Fluent in both French and Spanish, Madison spends the majority of her time keeping busy by juggling a school, work and social life, all while making time to write/edit for HC- Ryerson! Often seen sporting Aritzia clothing, her knack for perfect grammar and love for Prison Break are what makes her "unique", but her articles are pretty cool, too.
Zainab is a 4th-year journalism student from Dubai, UAE who is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Ryerson. When she's not taking photos for her Instagram or petting dogs on the street, she's probably watching a rom-com on Netflix or journaling! Zainab loves The Bold Type and would love to work for a magazine in New York City someday! Zainab is a feminist and fierce advocate against social injustice - she hopes to use her platform and writing to create change in the world, one article at a time.