Campus Celebrity: Alyssa Whiteman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Alyssa WhitemanAge: 25English ’15Claim to fame: Creator of awesome and sparkly things! Founder of Little Wolf Designs Jewlery!

What inspired you to start your business?

Getting cancer actually! I’ve always been a pretty creative person. When I was little I bought little jewelry kits from Walmart or where ever… I stopped for a while and then got back into it when I got sick. I learned a few things from another patient in the hospital and when I went back to school I did co-op with jewelry designer Rita.D who does some more high end stuff. I learned a lot from her.

How has Ryerson influenced your artistry?

Having campus in the heart of downtown helps a lot. There’s always a super stylish person nearby. I try and see if anyone’s jewelry catches my eye. If its something really unique I’ll ask the person if I can take a picture of it and then I use that to inspire me to create things. I’m always looking for inspiration.

What advice do you have for young entrepeneurs?

Never stop learning. I feel like there’s always something new to pick up at some point. Something that you may not have heard of or tried before. Take some *well thought out* risks

What do you hope to acheive with your line of jewlery?

I want to have my jewelry in more stores. I want to be able to walk through the mall and point in a jewelry store and see my stuff in there. I want to be able to prove a point to everyone who didn’t take me seriously when I first started!

What is one thing you never leave the house without?

My GLASSES!! I have contacts but I always forget that I have them in and start patting my face to adjust my glasses and then panic when nothing is there. Plus I feel naked without them. I’ve worn glasses since I was 13.

What is the one accessory you think every woman should have?

Chapstick or some kind of lip balm. Chapped lips are never cute

What is your favorite part of ryerson’s campus?

The special collections room of the library. I *think* that’s what it’s called. It’s got a collection of vintage cameras.

How can our readers get in touch with you/find your work?

You can look me up on Facebook or instagram. Just look for the purple wolf logo

Know someone who deserves to be a Campus Celebrity? Tweet us @hcryerson or emails us at ryerson@hercampus.com! 

Ben Samuels

Toronto MU '16

Benjamin is a reluctant third-year English major at Ryerson University and the newly minted Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Ryerson.You can reach Benjamin on twitter and instagram @iamsashagay, and by email at benjaminkent@hercampus.com