Culture > News

All The Reasons Why You Should Support Small Businesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

It’s no secret that COVID-19 heavily changed the in-person shopping experience to an online one. The pandemic saw twice the number of online shoppers, with Canadians making 10 per cent of their purchases online, according to Statistics Canada.

Many Canadian consumers use Amazon to make their online purchases, making it even more popular, according to Cision. With all the adjusting to online shopping, small businesses got the shorter end of the stick. These are all the reasons why small businesses deserve continued support, especially during the pandemic.

1. When you choose to support a small business, you’re acknowledging the effort and challenges it takes to run one. Small businesses are run by people. There’s often more care and time put into the products they make, which is telling that there’s real people behind it all. For example, bodyFood Dental is an organic and plant-based company in Mississauga. Their essential oils and dental products are made with natural ingredients.

2. The products can also be a reflection of the business values. The Green Jar is the perfect example of this. It’s a small business in Toronto that’s eco-friendly and makes reusable products aiming to eliminate single-use plastics and household waste.

3. Small businesses can also give back to the community. Many small business owners donate to one or more charities. Beau’s Brewery in Etobicoke donates to more than 100 independent arts and music, community-building, and charitable organizations every year. 

4. Arguably, the best thing small businesses do is they create a sense of community and culture. They represent the creativity of a particular area and what it has to offer.

The choice to support small businesses helps people and makes innovation possible. It encourages important messages and strengthens the community, economy and the environment.

Aru Kaul

Toronto MU '23

I'm Aru and I'm a journalism student at Ryerson University. I hope to use my writing to leave an impact on readers, create positive change and enhance my own skills!
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.