matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

18 Canadians Killed in Ethiopian Airlines Crash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

On Sunday March 10 an Ethiopian Airlines flight crashed in the town of Bishoftu suddenly just minutes after takeoff.

The direct flight was leaving Ethiopia’s capital, Addis Ababa on its way to Nairobi, Kenya. 149 passengers on board along with eight crew members were all confirmed deceased by the CEO of Ethiopian Airlines, Tewolde GebreMariam.

Among these passengers of thirty different nationalities, 18 were Canadian and 32 were Kenyan. Many among them were activists, environmentalists, and professors worth recognizing.

Before takeoff the four month old Boeing 737-8 MAX was confirmed to have no problems. Having been certified for flight nearly two years ago by both U.S. and European regulators, it would appear that this model was up to safety standards.

With the Boeing being the most popular airline passenger plane in the world, it is difficult to understand what might have gone wrong.

According to an article by Global News, aviation expert Jock Williams says that despite all conspiracy behind the accident, the agencies might not know what caused the plane to crash for a long time. When they do, they cannot release information to the public until they are 110 per cent certain.

Williams goes on to explain that if the agencies make a mistake then it will cost them billions of dollars as well as the opinions of many.

Local news sources have been tirelessly covering stories involving the families of the Canadians who have passed, including Carleton University professor Pius Adesanmi, forestry advocate Peter deMarsh, Jessica Hyba, an employee of the United Nations High Commission for Refugees and six members of the Dixit-Vaidya family as well as many more.

Worldwide news sources continue to acknowledge each individual victim for who they were from many nationalities, including passengers from China, the United States, Nepal and Saudi Arabia.

At this time, Ethiopian Airlines has made the safe decision to ground all Boeing 737 aircrafts as a safety precaution.

Madison Dolman

Toronto MU '22

Madison was born in Toronto, ON. Her addiction to online shopping is best fuelled by a high daily caffeine intake. Fluent in both French and Spanish, Madison spends the majority of her time keeping busy by juggling a school, work and social life, all while making time to write/edit for HC- Ryerson! Often seen sporting Aritzia clothing, her knack for perfect grammar and love for Prison Break are what makes her "unique", but her articles are pretty cool, too.