This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Living in a big city can be daunting, especially if you’re coming from a smaller town or city. When I first moved to Toronto I wasn’t used to the sheer volume of people roaming around. The constant noise and action got a little overwhelming and I knew I needed to find some havens in the city where I could get away. Whether it’s a park, museum or even a different neighbourhood, it can be refreshing to get away from the hustle and bustle. 

If you’re looking for a reprieve, check out this list of 10 places to go to escape the city.

Allan Gardens

This is a great place to spend some time all year round. Being super close to the Ryerson University campus, Allan Gardens invites you to stop and smell the flowers. The arrangements and plants change every season so there is always something new to see. Say hi to the turtles chilling in the pond, or snap some pictures for your Instagram. 

Evergreen Brick Works

Evergreen Brick Works offers plenty of activities to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday city life. Come on a Saturday to cruise around the Farmer’s Market or take a walk down the Lookout Path for a beautiful view overlooking the city. 

Riverdale Park

This sprawling park covers both sides of the Don Valley Parkway, giving you plenty of space to explore. On the west side, there’s a small farm to visit as well as well as some baseball diamonds if you want to have a game of catch. The east side offers a giant hill (absolutely perfect for tobogganing, trust me) and great spots to set up a hammock to relax in.

Museum of Modern Contemporary Art (MOCA)

After recently relocating to what was once Toronto’s tallest building, MOCA offers over five floors of unique exhibits. Not very familiar with art? That’s alright, MOCA will teach you all about the diverse artists and exhibits that they showcase.

Scarborough Bluffs

This secret hideaway makes you feel like you’re not in Toronto, let alone Ontario. White sand cliffs, beaches and walking trails are a great detox from the classic Toronto smog. Best thing is, it’s free!

Toronto Island

A hop, skip and a ferry ride away, an unexpected part of Toronto awaits. See the city from a different perspective and try tons of activities such as a visit to the petting zoo (mini pigs!), an amusement park ride or rent a quadruple bike.

The Big’r Apple Farm

There’s something quite satisfying about picking your own fruit. This destination is the about a 40 minute drive from downtown but the fresh, hand picked apples make up for that. Grab a group of your friends and get picking.

High Park

One of the most recognizable parks in Toronto, High Park includes a free range dog park, zoo and plenty of trails to keep you busy all day. Hop on Line 2 of the TTC and it will take you directly there. Be sure to visit the cherry blossoms when they’re in bloom too.

The Beaches

On your way to the Scarborough Bluffs, you’ll pass through The Beaches neighbourhood of Toronto. This part of the city offers you small-town vibes only 20 minutes away from all the action. Stroll along the boardwalk or meander around the array of shops at your own pace.

Toronto’s Harbourfront

The Harbourfront is more accessible than you think. Just a short walk from Union Station, this long stretch along Lake Ontario offers Beavertails and plenty of shaded benches and restaurants. Take the time to check out Sugar Beach and soak up some sun.

Claire Bradbury

Toronto MU '21

Claire is in her third year of journalism at Ryerson and seems to be sort of on track to finding her niche in writing. She likes hanging out with her friends, trying new recipes for dinner and never feeling guilty about how much chocolate she eats. You can catch her up in the 500 level at the Rogers Centre with her Blue Jays shirt on, cheering for her favourite baseball team and raving about Bo Bichette’s hair.
Sarah is a fourth-year journalism student at Ryerson University. As Ryerson's Campus Correspondent, Sarah is a self-proclaimed grammar nerd. In her spare time, Sarah is either buried in a book, trying to figure out how to be a functioning adult, or enjoying a glass of wine - hopefully all at once.