10 Alternatives to Avoid Buying Presents from Amazon this Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

I know that during the gift-giving holidays––my birthday, anniversary, Christmas––I prefer to get sentimental gifts, if anything at all. Especially during a time where capitalism has forced so many carbon copies into the mainstream market, I want to get something different. Cards are my absolute favourite and if they’re made, they’re typically even closer to my heart because the effort is put in to make it reek of Janeece. 

Amazon is ruining many opportunities for small businesses to grow. I totally understand that it may be Amazon’s flexible return policy and fast shipping that hooks you, but handmade products are made with such care and they’re usually better quality and worth the wait! You can always ship right to the individual you’re gifting to, some sellers even offer a gift wrap option. If they don’t, isn’t getting a surprise package a great hint that a gift is inside? They’ll have to open it anyway! Many sellers offer pick-up options as well, so you don’t have to worry about shipping times, fees or import/duty charges. 

Here are some shops based in Canada that you can buy from to fulfill your Christmas gift needs and support small Canadian businesses at the same time. The Etsy homepage is also a great place to start your search.

Catherine & Co 

An amazing go-to for candles all year round. And Black-owned! They are ethically and sustainably made, using vegan fragrance oils and a soy wax blend. They’re cruelty-free and handcrafted in Toronto. We all have a candle lover in our life so if you’re getting them a gift this year, this is the place to get it from! They also have free local delivery or pick up for customers in the following cities: Toronto, Scarborough, Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, and Oshawa. Perfect for the procrastinator and last-minute shopper! 

Quinn Rockliff

An amazing line artist from Toronto who uses her art to empower bodies and soothe souls. While she may not be able to fulfill or accept a commission request by Christmas, she has launched a shop with prints and merch showcasing her unique pieces. 

Whiskey Jack Boutique

A Canadian trinket shop in Windsor that has free pick up procedures and Canada wide delivery! They sell so many unique, one of a kind pieces that are especially perfect for the patriot in your life. Also, their aesthetic is so pleasing. 

Art of House

Art of House has something for everyone. While I don’t believe they offer shipping services, they need to be on this list! Located in Ottawa, they have art pieces, novels, trinkets, teacups, amazing earrings, food. If you’re a local, they do online orders for pickup. 

Blumseed

If you’re shopping for your non-white friends, this is the spot. Also Black-owned! Honestly, this shop has products that will work for all hair types, but they cater to “black, brown and all shades in-between”. The focus is on the uniqueness of the coloured individual’s scalp. They have products that help with alopecia, scalp psoriasis, clogged follicles and other similar scalp conditions. If you know that the person has done the big chop, or are just looking for some extra love to add to their self-care regime, you’ll find some of the best, cruelty-free products on Blumseed. Products are free of harmful chemicals, parabens and made with environmental impacts in mind. They also have amazing customer service policies, even better than Amazon! 

Sistersage

This shop seamlessly blends modern self-care and wellness with traditional Indigenous methods and materials. They have soaps, salves, creams, smudge, and bath bombs. Perfect for the hard worker in your life that doesn’t know how to take a break. All products are made sustainably, safe to go down the drain, are vegan or vegetarian and eco friendly. No palm oil (bonus!). Feel good products that are good for our bodies and the earth. 

Jazmin Saraï

Jazmin Sarai is a Montreal based perfume brand that focuses on curating scents in small batches with quality raw ingredients. Their scents are non-gendered (as they should be) and are made with as many biodegradable ingredients as possible to maintain sustainability.

Sweetness shop

Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. This artisan “Bean-to-Bar Chocolate” is made by hand with cacao ​beans from around the world. That’s a well-travelled bar of chocolate! Fancy food for your fancy friends. And who doesn’t love a gift they can eat? 

Cheekbone Cosmetics

This one’s for the make-up lover in your life. They also have an awesome advocate problem so everyone can express the *influencer* inside them while simultaneously supporting a great brand. They are Indigenous founded and owned, based in St. Catherines and known for their high quality and cruelty-free products. Their thank you cards are also wildflower seeds?! Makeup and plants from a brand with such a great mission statement? It’s not too good to be true.

Riverdale Rock Hub

Riverdale Rock Hub is putting together themed Holiday Baskets made of locally produced goods! This is a great way to support multiple small businesses and also shop sustainably. There are a wide variety of price points and you also support their non-profit by purchasing. They only have pick-up options available at this time which is great for those who prefer not to rely on shipping times but want to limit shopping in stores. You can fill out the order form here

If you’re still hung up on brands and searching for specific items, Poshmark is a great honourable mention. They are a second-hand retailer where independent sellers make posts for purchase. They have a great policy for ensuring you get what you paid for and you can always filter “BNWT” (Brand new with tags) to get brand new items at a significantly lower price. 

Well, there you have it. There are so many more small businesses out there that can get you the gifts you need for those special people in your life. Christmas is not just about giving gifts, it’s about reminding your favs that there is still so much love and hope in their lives! If you want to give them something, how about something that was made by hand, with love. Love for the earth and love for human bodies! 

Janeece Niles

Toronto MU '22

A freelance writer that ate a musical theatre kid. My bark is my bite.
Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.