Wellness > Health

What the Hell is Liquid Chlorophyll and Should I Be Taking It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

If you’re on Tik Tok, you’ve most likely heard of liquid chlorophyll by now.

We’ve all seen random stuff become popular through the app: dances, recipes, songs and more, but this certain trend might have been the weirdest for me to wrap my head around. Tomato/feta pasta, I understood…but drinking the stuff that makes plants green? Why the hell would you want to do that?

If you don’t know, chlorophyll is the pigment that is found in plants that allows them to convert sunlight into nutrients during photosynthesis. The supplement form of chlorophyll is actually chlorophyllin, which is a semisynthetic, water soluble version of chlorophyll. 

As I kept seeing more and more videos about this new craze, I began to see several different health benefits from using it each day and even saw some videos from medical professionals vouching for the product. Apparently, liquid chlorophyll can have many health benefits for those who take it. If you’re skeptical, let’s talk about a few:

1. Adding liquid chlorophyll to your daily routine can have cosmetic benefits for the skin, hair and nails. The supplement reduces inflammation and boosts collagen production so if you have acne scars or discoloration, taking liquid chlorophyll may be able to help with reducing them. The added collagen production can help your skin become glowy and clear, and who doesn’t want that?

2. Liquid chlorophyll is rich with anti-inflammatory antioxidants which can help to maintain a healthy gut, which reduces bloating by aiding digestion and can speed up metabolism. 

3. The supplement can also act as a sort of natural deodorant. I know, I know, really? But from what I’ve come to learn, it’s the real deal. Apparently it reduces trimethylamines, which cause odor. I didn’t know this but chlorophyll has long been used to treat people with bad breath, medically referred to as halitosis. 

There are other benefits that have been speculated on too, such as the reduction of cancer cells, fighting of bacteria, and reduction of muscle inflammation. 

I was so intrigued by the videos that I was seeing that I had to try it myself. I’ve been taking it for four days now, and although I have to chug it to get past it’s stale taste (it’s really not that bad, I’m just a baby), I really have seen some benefits. As someone who is highly critical of their skin, I usually don’t give many things credit for improving it, but I have felt like I looked glowier and clearer since my first dose. My discoloration has started to fade and my overall skin tone is much more even. I don’t normally have G.I. issues and haven’t really given much thought to my natural odor and whether or not it’s improved in the last four days, but neither has gotten worse so that’s good!

If you’re into trying new things and seeing what happens, I recommend trying this. From what I’ve seen, there aren’t really any major side effects. The only ones I’ve heard of are mild stomach cramping, diarrhea, and discolored stool. Let me know if you try it and how it goes for you!

Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!