How to Make the Most of Your College Years, from a Graduating Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

With graduation right around the corner (wow, that feels weird to write), I’ve been doing a lot of reflecting on the experiences in college that have helped me feel ready to conquer the workforce. Of course, getting good grades is important, but it’s the extra things that’ll make your resume stand out. Here are some tips I’ve picked up over the years:

1. Take Advantage of Your School’s Career Center

I can’t emphasize enough- make appointments with your career advisor! I can’t tell you how many students I’ve talked to who don’t even know their school has a career center. Your career advisor can help you write a resume, search for internships, and even do mock interviews with you. Even if it’s just a quick review of your cover letter, a second set of eyes makes a huge difference. 

2. Get Creative With Your Work Study

If you’re awarded federal work study in your financial aid package, look for positions in departments of your school that are close to your interests. For example, if you’re interested in traveling, see if your school’s study abroad office needs someone to work at the front desk. Another option is to ask your favorite professor if they need help with research or lesson plans. Working as a research assistant to my political science professor helped me keep my reading and writing muscles strong this year, and it’s an experience on my resume that many potential employers have loved hearing about.

3. Extracurricular Activities: Quality Over Quantity

In high school, I was definitely one of those people who tried to be involved in every activity possible. However, when I got to college I was on a much tighter schedule, so I focused on finding a few activities that I genuinely enjoyed, as opposed to just signing up for everything. Focus on activities that are the most important to you, and get as involved as you can.

I hope these ideas are helpful to you! All in all, remember to have fun and enjoy your college experience, because take it from me- it flies by. Take advantage of every opportunity presented to you, and don’t live with regrets. Every experience is a chance to grow and learn.

I'm a Massachusetts native studying political science at Roger Williams University. Interests include dance, travel, fitness, fashion, and social justice activism. Die hard Boston sports fan and coffee enthusiast. she/her/hers
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!