This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

As a self-proclaimed coffee addict, I’m always on the lookout to try new varieties and flavors. It’s widely known that coffee has quite a few health benefits- it boosts your metabolism, contains a ton of nutrients like manganese and potassium, and of course, gives you an energy boost. During quarantine, I began trying new methods for making my own coffee at home, and was fascinated by the tricks I learned.

1. Clean Your Coffee Maker Often

Any remnant of old coffee can affect the taste of your fresh cup and affects your coffee maker’s efficiency over time. Looking up how to clean your coffee maker can help you find a step-by-step guide on cleaning yours with their descaling solution.

2. Check Your Water Quality

Depending on where you live, your tap water may be too hard or soft to give you the best quality flavor in your coffee. Water needs a certain minerality and alkalinity to make a good cup. Try brewing your coffee with bottle water or water from a Brita filter to avoid off-flavors.

3. Buy Whole Bean Coffee

Coffee is at its freshest a few days after being roasted. Check your favorite local coffee shop for whole beans- they often source their coffee locally, making it fresher. Only grind the amount you’ll be using that day to keep it extra fresh.

4. Try Different Combinations

It takes me ages to find a coffee combination I like, and I’m always looking to switch it up. Lately, I’ve been loving oat milk and a little sugar, and sometimes I’ll add cinnamon for an extra kick. Check out Pinterest for lots of cool recipes! 

Making your own coffee can be a lot of trial and error, but I’ve definitely noticed a difference in my morning coffee after incorporating these steps. Good coffee always motivates me to get my day going- I hope it does the same for you!

I'm a Massachusetts native studying political science at Roger Williams University. Interests include dance, travel, fitness, fashion, and social justice activism. Die hard Boston sports fan and coffee enthusiast. she/her/hers
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!