This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

Looking back over the past year there were many new trends that came about. The pandemic resulted in almost everyone working from home for quite a while…which means more time on our hands. All this time brought up many new trends that were famous on almost every social media platform. Certain foods were selling out in countries because of these 4 most popular food and drink trends.

1. Dalgona Coffee

For all of the latte lovers out there, you should definitely try this! This trend came about at the very beginning of quarantine last year so of course I tried it. This drink consists of equal parts sugar, instant coffee and water. Put all of those ingredients together and whisk until you have a very fluffy consistency that can be spooned right into a glass that is half filled with milk. This coffee is strong from the concentrated grounds but also creamy from the milk.

2. Cloud Bread

This is exactly what it sounds like, a bread that is super airy and fluffy. This trend started from a user on Tik Tok and everyone loved it because this recipe is gluten-free, low carb and grain free. All you need to do is combine egg whites, cornstarch and sugar until you get a meringue like consistency. Then just put the mixture onto a baking sheet, shape it how you want, and put it in the 300 degree oven. Many people were posting videos on this trend and even added food coloring to make it more fun.

3. Hot Chocolate Bombs

Next we have the fun and creative hot cocoa bombs that can be made in so many different ways. This trend was started by a woman in November of 2020 who was trying to think of ideas on how to keep her business afloat during these hard times. These bombs consist of a mold that is lined with chocolate and filled with hot chocolate powder, marshmallows, mint candies, etc. This perfect little sphere of chocolate is placed in a mug and hot milk or water is poured over it to reveal the hidden mix within.

4. Feta Pasta

Last but certainly not least, the infamous “Tik Tok pasta” that started off in Finland and made its way to us. I absolutely loved this trend because it is so simple and delicious. All you need is tomatoes, a block of feta, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Put that all in a dish then right in the oven, mix in your cooked pasta and dinner is ready! This recipe was so popular that all grocery stores in Finland ran out of feta. If you want to try any of these 4 trends I highly recommend making this feta pasta for your next dinner.

My name is Maegan Varley and I am a senior at RWU majoring in marketing and minor in psychology. I am from Berlin, CT and enjoy cooking in my free time as well as spending time with family and friends.
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!