This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

With COVID vaccines becoming widely available, a lot of our “normal” life will be returning soon- including going to the movie theater. Since a lot of movies were pushed back due to the pandemic, there’s a lot to look forward to in 2021. Here are some that I’m excited to see this year:

Black Widow- May 7, 2021

This list is in no particular order- except for Black Widow. As a huge Avengers fan, I was so bummed when this movie’s release date got pushed back a year. I’m looking forward to learning more about Scarlett Johannson’s character (and watching her kick ass).

Luca- June 18, 2021

Pixar’s newest movie takes place in Italy and follows a young boy and his friend who find out they are sea monsters. The visuals of the Italian Riviera are absolutely stunning, and the music takes me back to Sunday dinner at my grandparents’ house. It looks like a fun movie to start the summer with.

Space Jam: A New Legacy- July 16, 2021

Okay, I know everyone has conflicting feelings on remakes (and I know the Jordan vs Lebron crowd will have some very strong opinions) but I’m eager to see the direction this new Space Jam goes in. It will get a very obvious 2021-upgrade from the CGI animation, but I definitely see some room for elements of 90s nostalgia. 

In the Heights- June 18, 2021

In the Heights is based on the musical from Lin Manuel Miranda, and tells the story of Dominican-Americans living in Washington Heights, New York, with a musical score that combines rap and salsa. Being a huge musical theater fan, I’m excited to see how the story is told on the big screen. 

West Side Story- December 10, 2021

Another movie musical I’m psyched for, this movie’s based off the Broadway musical of the same name. Steven Spielberg is directing, and Ansel Elgort is starring as Tony, with newcomer Rachel Zegler as Maria (look her up on You Tube- girl’s got some pipes). I know this’ll be a great end of the year movie. 

What are some movies you’re excited to see this year?

I'm a Massachusetts native studying political science at Roger Williams University. Interests include dance, travel, fitness, fashion, and social justice activism. Die hard Boston sports fan and coffee enthusiast. she/her/hers
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!