Life > Academics

Writing Effectively: Cracking The Code To Clear, Concise Writing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

I am incredibly honored to be a part of the Her Campus organization and to use the power of writing to share new, exciting thoughts, facts, and interesting perspectives. This organization has created a platform for writers to express themselves positively, and I have learned loads on my writing journey.

Whether you have to write an essay or submit an internship cover letter, I will provide simple steps that benefit your writing and guarantee that ‘A’ or job acceptance.

Writing: Rough Draft To Final Draft:

read each question by part

You will notice that each question is in one paragraph. This can seem intimidating, but reading the questions one at a time allows you to gather your thoughts and ideas promptly.

Take notes

Write bullet points listing your thoughts and how to build upon those thoughts, but remember to be concise. Concise does not mean writing small sentences. Conciseness refers to writing your responses clearly and conveying your message without using plenty of words.

Conduct research

Find scholarly articles and credible sources that provide details regarding a particular question and expand upon your research: do not summarize your quotes. Explain their meaning and the purpose behind using that quote. Remember to connect your quotes to your prompts.

focus on the goal of the piece

When concluding your work, do not say, “This is why you should accept me and what I have to offer.” Instead, discuss how the job would benefit you and your work ethic. Focus on prospective goals you hope to achieve while working with the organization and why those goals matter to you.

ask for help!

Queer Eye‘s Karamo Brown once said, “Plan, do, ask for help.” When you apply this to the context of writing, plan your ideas, do your rough draft, and ask for feedback. Take constructive criticism and edit your work. Receiving feedback helps you become a better writer and teaches you the importance of having a second opinion before perfecting your work. 

Extra Helpful Links:

Remember writers. Treat writing as an exercise and not a chore. Good luck, and keep writing! 

Anjali Ravi

Rutgers '26

I'm Anjali, and I am a Public Health major with a double minor in Public Policy and Disability Studies! I am passionate about hard work, strong work ethic, mental health, women's rights, and community service! In my spare time, I enjoy exercising, cooking, writing, and watching new movies!