Life > Experiences

My Experience Studying Abroad and How it Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

This past summer, I had the opportunity to study abroad in Rome, Italy. This was the best impulsive decision I have ever made. I never pictured myself as the traveling type, as I was always so nervous and had never been outside of the United States. I had my reservations about not being close to home like how I am at school. I was also unsure of how I would adapt to being so independent in a foreign country. However, all of my fears about studying abroad changed in February when I saw an email about an amazing summer program in Rome.

I saw the email and opened up the application on a whim. I immediately completed it because I decided that it was time to do something new. The summer study abroad program was only five weeks, so I thought it would be perfect! At the time, I thought it was short, and I was glad I would not have to be away from home for too long. However, I ended up wishing the program was longer!

The summer study abroad experience totally exceeded my expectations, and I could not believe how lucky I was to call Rome home for five weeks. I got to live in an apartment in the Travastere area with eight other girls from different colleges across the U.S. It was such a great opportunity to meet people outside of my college. I was lucky enough to become very close with one of my flatmates who goes to school in Missouri, and she and I practically ate our way through Rome in gelato.

The campus was about a 15-20 minute walk from the flat I was staying at, and I looked forward to walking the streets of Travastere every morning. On my way to class, I would stop at coffee shops and get espresso and pastries which started my days off in a fantastic way. The classes I took were about Renaissance art and Italian cuisine, so I truly immersed myself in the country’s culture which really heightened my experience.

On the weekends, I would explore the coast of Italy. I went on several hiking trips with an organized group. I went to Capri, Sapri, Amalfi, Positano and Salerno. Everything I saw was so beautiful, and I was happy I did these trips. I did a lot of hiking on various trails and mountains during my excursions. I even did the famous “Walk of The Gods” which had breathtaking views. This hike was about 4 hours long and started in Bomerano and ended in Nocelle, in the territory of Positano.

In between classes, I would explore different attractions within Rome. I ventured into Vatican City and saw the gorgeous Sistine ceiling. I saw so many churches with intricate art and details, and I even made a wish at the Trevi Fountain. My apartment was in a great location in Rome, so everything I wanted to see was only about a 30-minute walk away.

At times, I did miss home and even got a little tired of pizza and pasta even though it was incredible! However, I was so grateful to be there and experience what I did. I look back on my time there and wish I could have spent more time in Rome, but I know one day I will be back. I was able to see so much history, art, and culture throughout Italy, and it was all so amazing.

If you are on the fence about studying abroad, I am telling you to just go and do it! This was an amazing experience you will cherish forever.

Heather is a sophomore at Rutgers University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies with a specialization in Global Media, and minoring in Business and Technical Writing. Besides writing, she enjoys binging true crime documentaries, baking cookies, and walking along scenic trails. IG: @heathersuraci