Why One Should Not Racially Stereotype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Japanese born, American raised, and Indian made is the best way to describe me. I grew up with the most unique and array of different cultures, which has shaped me into the person I am today. Growing up, one thing I cannot stand is just because my blood is Indian (which I am equally proud of just like the rest of my diverse background) doesn’t mean that I fit into racial stereotypes. I am what one calls Americanized, meaning personality wise, I mostly identify with my American background, which is how I grew up. I don’t have super strict traditional Indian parents who have expectations, I don’t listen to classical Indian music, I don’t keep up with Bollywood movies, I am not attracted to Indian guys, and dread the idea of visiting India (I haven’t visited in six years). I make my own decisions in life without my parents influence, I like watching American movies, listening to American music, I am attracted to white guys, and Japan is my second home/the place I love to visit no matter what. My ways of showing my Indian culture are eating the delicious cuisine regularly with different other cuisines, going to Indian family friend parties once a month, and listening to my parents’ stories of growing up in India, which I all enjoy. My background and personality have made me unique in my own way representing my three countries. Hence why you should not judge people from racial stereotypes.

There are some people out there who are surprised when I tell them my story and my personality, which is wrong. This is the 21st century, anyone of any race can be from anywhere in the world which can strongly have an influence on their personality, likes, and dislikes. There are some people whose cultural background have a strong influence on their personality, others are the opposite. Every person has their own unique personality and sometimes their background doesn’t play into what they like. Don’t ever let society or stereotypes define who you are, you are a unique person who knows who you are/what you like. I am living proof with a diverse background, you can be anyone you want to be. I don’t let anyone criticize my ways or beliefs, I ignore those types of people and be the person I am. Always be yourself and ignore anyone who puts you down for it.