This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Getting into your first relationship or even into a new one is an exciting time. You cannot help but think and smile about the cute thing they did that one time or be gone from them for more than a day. Then you constantly check your phone to see if they texted back and what they might be doing or how their day is going. Before you enter the tunnel of love, though, there are a few important things to consider and know when getting into a relationship.

(Photo by Leonardo Sanches on Unsplash)

You Need to Love Yourself First

I am sure you have heard this before and are tired by this cheesy line but it really is important. If you are insecure or self-conscious about something, it will come up in the relationship and cause a problem. Your insecurities could get in the way of allowing yourself unconditional care. If you do not believe in yourself, you will not believe your partner when they try to encourage or support you. It is a good idea to think about what you do not like about yourself and try to spin it into something positive. Accepting yourself, flaws and all, is not an easy task. This process could take a long time, making it best to not involve anyone but yourself.

(Photo by Tim Mossholder on Unsplash

Figure Out What You Want From The Relationship

Yes, this is scary to think about if you are just getting into a relationship but could save you from a lot of time and heartbreak. You need to know what you want from the relationship. Do you just want a casual relationship? Something serious that leads to marriage? It is important to figure that out so you do not expect something out of the relationship that your partner does not want. It is also important to voice what you want to your partner to encourage open and honest communication and to make sure they want the same things that you do.

(Photo by Paola Aguilar on Unsplash)

Realize It Is A Lot Of Time And Effort

If you have never been in a relationship before it is important to realize that it is a time commitment, one that you need to pour your heart and soul into. Being in a relationship is not a fun hobby to occupy your time nor is it like a friendship. There are times when you will fight and it might seem like the end of the world, but it is not. It is just your anger. Yes, it should be fun and enjoyable but relationships are dynamic and complex; they require a lot of effort to make work. It will not always be a smooth ride, so you just have to work at it to make sure it is one. If this seems like way too much, then you should reconsider being in a relationship.

(Photo by Becca Tapert on Unsplash)

Ask Yourself If You Are Ready

Diving right in may apply to food but it certainly does not to relationships. If you get into a relationship without thinking about what it will require from you and what you expect from them, you might regret getting into a relationship in the first place. There are many factors and components to a relationship and you need to make sure you are really ready for all of it.

Considering all these things before you get into a relationship seems scary and like you are taking things too seriously so soon. Doing this, though, ensures you are prepared and ready for a relationship. You do not want to get into one and realize it was not what you wanted or expected. It is better to know what you want and not expect anything less than what you deserve, ladies.

(Photo by Sharon McCutcheon on Unsplash)

Shannon is a senior attending Rutgers University pursuing a bachelor's degree in Journalism & Media studies. Although she is graduating this May, she will be staying to obtain her Master's degree in Communication Media. With a great passion for everything fashion and beauty, she hopes to be writing for a magazine centered around both. She loves puppies and can often be found in bed binging a k-drama on Netflix!