Culture > News

The K-pop Industry Mourns the Loss of Another Star

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Moon Bin, a member of the K-pop group Astro, was found dead in his home in Gangnam, Seoul on April 19.

His agency, Fantagio, confirmed the star’s death on Wednesday night: “On April 19th, Astro member Moonbin suddenly left us and has now become a star in the sky.” They requested that fans and media refrain from speculative and malicious reports, so that the family may have time to grieve.

It was said that the star’s manager found him unresponsive in his home at 8:10 pm and immediately called the police. Police stated that it appears he took his own life as there were no signs of foul play, but that an autopsy would be needed to determine the exact cause of death. 

Aroha’s (Astro’s Fans) pay their respects on social media and at multiple tribute sites set up worldwide.

Fellow member of Astro, Cha Eunwoo, reportedly returned back to Korea on April 20th upon hearing news of his friend’s death. Member MJ, who is currently serving in the military, took emergency leave so that he may attend the wake. Members Yoon Sanha, Rocky, and JinJin have been with the family since news of Moon Bin’s death broke. 

Many idols and companies in the industry postponed or canceled their upcoming activities in respect and paid tribute online. 

Among the idols is Moon Bin’s sister, Moon Sua. Moon Sua is a member of the group Billlie, who has currently canceled all promotions and activities to allow time for mourning. 

The family wishes to have a private funeral consisting of only family, friends, and close colleagues. Fans and paparazzi are asked to respect their wishes during this difficult time. 

If you or someone you love is having a hard time, please contact crisis prevention and suicide hotlines.

USA Hotline: 988

Kaitlyn Russo

Rutgers '23

Kaitlyn is a senior at Rutgers University studying Korean and Elementary Special Education. In her free time, she enjoys baking and hanging out with her pet hamster, Penelope.