body images 2020 01 06 Starbucks20Oatmilk20Honey20Lattejpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2020 01 06 Starbucks20Oatmilk20Honey20Lattejpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Starbucks Survival Guide: Fall 2021 Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Welcome back to campus (finally)! It is very weird but exciting to finally be back on campus and being able to take in-person classes. If you are anything like me, caffeine is an essential part of your diet during the semester. After a lot of experimenting and some experience as a Starbucks barista, here are my recommendations for a caffeinated and fun fall! Enjoy these very non-basic fall drinks! 

1. Brown Sugar Blonde Roast 

This one has become a staple for me, especially on those dreadful rainy days when I want something warm and cozy. Get a Venti blonde roast with 4 pumps of brown sugar oat milk and cinnamon on top! If you need an extra boost I like to get a triple blonde shot in addition to the drip! 

1. Pumpkin Shaken Espresso 

Personally, I hate when my drinks are too sweet. While I do enjoy a pumpkin latte, I prefer to have it more spicy than sweet. If you are like me, order a venti iced shaken espresso with 6 blonde shots, 4 pumps of pumpkin, extra pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and oat milk. This gives you a stronger PSL with a little bit less sugar! 

1. Apple Brown Sugar Chai  

The apple crisp macchiato has gotten mixed reviews. My problem with it is that the Apple Brown Sugar does not particularly match with espresso. Instead, order a hot or iced chai tea latte with oat milk, 4 pumps of ABS syrup, and a caramel drizzle. Trust me, you will not regret it. This is a good afternoon pick-me-up or a nice night drink! 

1.   Iced Honey Peppermint Green Tea Lemonade 

Walking around campus a lot can get tiring and dehydrate you- especially if you forget your water bottle. Sometimes, you also just do not want coffee! One of my favorite caffeinated but refreshing drinks is a green tea lemonade with 3 pumps of honey blend and 2 pumps of peppermint. It is refreshing and gives you a good boost of energy!

1. Black Oatmilk Iced Tea 

Another one for my tea queens! I discovered this last spring! Order a black iced tea with oat milk, 4 pumps of vanilla, and 2 pumps of brown sugar. It is very creamy and gives you a more milk tea type of flavor! Of course, there are plenty of great places to get bubble tea nearby as well, but if Starbucks is your closest option, this is a good alternative. 

1.  Salted Toffee Nut Coffee! 

As much as I love Starbucks, their current supply shortage is killing my vibe. Especially the lack of toffee nut syrup which has become an addiction for me. Get it in cold brew or blonde roast! I love a large cold brew with 6 pumps of toffee nut, oat milk, a packet of salt (usually I ask for this on the side if I am not working), and caramel drizzle. The blonde roasted version of this drink is perfect for chilly fall days. This gives you a more nutty twist on the classic salted caramel cold brew without the cold foam! (Disclaimer: I am not a fan of sweet cream cold foam). 

Enjoy a fall filled with lots of caffeine and fun flavors! Look out for local coffee shop recommendations coming soon!

Julia Fuchs

Rutgers '22

Julia is a senior at Rutgers School of Arts and Sciences. Academically, she is interested in Egyptian archaeology and art history. Outside of classes Julia loves fashion, coffee, art, music and is a dedicated feminist! Her Campus is a way for her to combine all of her interests in a journalistic setting, and an organization she loves being a part of!