Sophie’s Guide to Your First Semester: ‘The School for Good and Evil’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

As someone who grew up with The School for Good and Evil books by Soman Chainani, when I found out Netflix was making a film based on them, my inner child was ecstatic. Animating this magical world and these lovable characters, I fell in love with the film. Not to mention that Sophia Anne Caruso was playing my absolute queen, Sophie (Yes, I’m team Sophie). And speaking of Sophie, here is some advice I believe she would give to incoming first-year students.

This article contains spoilers for The School for Good and Evil.

Get an impromptu haircut

We all know that feeling when we’ve drunk a little too much coffee or been scrolling through hair transformation TikToks a little too long; the urge to cut bangs or dye our hair in the middle of night resurfaces. Well, Sophie, the Never with princess hair, would tell you to do it. Sometimes a fresh cut is just what you need to face the new semester. It can change your entire look, and if you can’t do it yourself, have a friend cut your hair—or in Sophie’s case, a professor. 

“Turns out you did me a favor. I was long overdue for a makeover” – Sophie of Gavaldon

Become Besties with your Roommates

Sophie didn’t think she could ever befriend the malicious Hester, but a battle with her roommate’s pet dragon showed that they were more similar than either believed. Although her roommates used to mock her dramatic personality, Sophie was eventually able to draw them into her frequent pamper nights and ridiculous schemes, so even if it seems you and your roommates will never get along, you should still try. The outcome might surprise you. 

Leave an Impression on your Professors

It is important to form a relationship with your professors, and getting name recognition is always nice. So, remember to attend class, ask questions, and go to office hours. Sophie’s name is often seethed by her teachers, but at least they can tell her apart from the thousands of other students, and sometimes, it is in the worst light that we form the most lasting connections.

Dress Up Everywhere

Overdressing is not a word in Sophie’s vocabulary—as isn’t too much eyeliner. Students of the School for Evil, commonly known as Nevers, are not supposed to care about their appearance, but that doesn’t stop Sophie from pretending school was her personal runway. Although her wardrobe consists primarily of black clothes, you can wear whatever you want: platform heels, flowy dresses, sparkly accessories, you name it. Just make sure you pair your outfit with a dose of confidence.

Make every entrance dramatic

Sophie has a talent for making heads turn when she enters a room. Now, this could be because she interrupts class and cuts in line, but I like to think her boldness plays a part too. If you want to secure some of Sophie’s confidence, then announce your presence in a room, throw open doors, power walk across campus, keep your chin up, and always walk with a crown on your head (even better if you can wear a real one).

Make a Change

What happens when a princess is put in The School for Evil? She becomes an even better villain. When Sophie couldn’t switch schools, she realized that she didn’t have to. She could just make the schools switch: witches and ghouls wearing gowns and armor, and knights and princesses covered in scars and rags. On second thought, this might be one of Sophie’s actions that you don’t imitate, but you can still make your mark in another way. Join a club, start a project, or write an article. Discover what speaks to you, and leave campus a little differently than when you arrived.

Even though our university isn’t a hallowed institution to train the future heroes and villains, the experience you have here can definitely be magical. Follow this guide, and like Sophie, you are sure to have an unforgettable first semester.

Halima Niazi

Rutgers '26

Halima is the Social Media Director of Her Campus at Rutgers. She is a sophomore, majoring in Cell Biology and Neuroscience and minoring in Creative Writing. She loves writing stories (and has aspirations to publish her own novel), dressing up, and eating sweets.