Life > Experiences

Out of This World Gift Ideas for the Science Nerds in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

‘Tis the season of giving, but sometimes getting gifts for friends can be tricky. Especially for your friends or family members that are scientists or engineers, you definitely need to find a balance between gifts that are too childish (like a science kit for kids) and gifts that are too technical (like a textbook or scientific journal). As a STEM major and self-proclaimed science nerd, here are some gift ideas that are sure to be the perfect combination of cute and geeky:

Radioactive Elements Glowing Coaster Set

Once you start living in your own space, you realize how important coasters can be to protect your coffee table and countertop. Not only do these coasters have the chemical symbols for the radioactive elements, but they also glow in the dark! If you have any friends who are chemical engineers, chemists or pharmacists, this would be a practical but super cute gift to get them.

Mathematical Formulas Clock

There are some people who are always thinking in numbers, even when they’re trying to tell the time. This clock has different math equations for each hour, which is a really interesting and aesthetic gift for any friend who loves calculus and solving math problems.

Autographed Poster

I love astronomy, so I’ve always revered Carl Sagan, a famous astrophysicist and science communicator. This is one autographed poster you could get, but any poster with the signature of a famous scientist would do. If you have a friend who’s into physics or astronomy though, this gift would have them over the moon.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (or any science book!)

I heard about this book from a professor in the microbiology department at Rutgers, and was always interested in reading it! This particular book is about the history of Henrietta Lacks, whose cells are used by every lab to study biology. Books in this genre aren’t full of scientific jargon, but instead are more like narratives, perfect for the scientist who’s also a bookworm.

These gifts span across many disciplines: chemistry, biology, physics and math. Hopefully one of them makes its way to your friend or family members… they’re sure to love it!

Hey, my name is Catherine Nguyen and I'm an undergraduate student at RU-New Brunswick! I'm planning on double majoring in English and actuarial mathematics. I love 90's hip hop, pineapple pizza and reading.