This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

One of the best ways to procrastinate is by curating music playlists to match different moods or events. Whatever you’re doing, dreaming, or scheming, there’s a plethora of music that matches the atmosphere, waiting to be played. The fun part about creating these playlists is deciding its name. Personal favorites include: “main character vibes,” “i like it when guitar go BRRRR,” or “come cry w/ me.” Here’s a selection of songs I put together called “out of breath” since listening to these songs makes me dance and jump around until I am literally out of breath.

“Modern Love” – David Bowie

A Bowie classic, this song immediately puts me in a joyous mood. Once I hear the guitar riff, my hips automatically move, and I’m dancing to the beat. The chorus is absolutely catchy, causing me to scream the lyrics while having the time of my life. 10/10 would recommend adding this song to multiple playlists.

“Dynamite” – BTS

I have to confess, I didn’t understand the hype surrounding K-pop, much less BTS. Truth be told, I wasn’t sure what to think of them since I spent the majority of my middle school years listening to One Direction (I still do), and I felt weird listening to other boy bands. However, after one listen, I finally understand! My eyes are opening, my crops are finally growing, and my skin is clearing! Definitely recommend listening to this bop as it provides a boost of energy and positivity for the day!

“Headstart” – Jade Bird

Jade Bird’s raspy voice and relatable lyrics are giving me everything I need. This headbanger is about liking someone who doesn’t see or understand the signs (dumb boy energy, man). When she said, “I know us girls aren’t easy/ But come on,/ What do you need to see/ I’ve given you a headstart,” I felt that in my bones! You’ll find yourself clapping and moving with the music in no time.

“Don’t Wanna Go Home” – Jason Derulo

Jason Derulo has created so many bops over the years, it’s hard to choose one. I chose this song since it recently popped back into my head. Listening to this single reminds me of the days when pop music mainly consisted of having fun and partying. A lot of party hits were created during the 2010s that it’s bittersweet to think about. In the words of Lady Gaga: “Just dance!”

“Smile” – Avril Lavigne

Listening to Avril always manages to make me have angst, but in a good way. I feel like I can conquer the world, or at least make it my own. The opening lines of this single provide overwhelmingly reckless energy. If you’re not screaming the lyrics, you’re not getting the full experience of her music.

“Cannibal” – Kesha

“Cannibal” is another song that makes me feel like I have a lot of intense power. I recommend not to think much about the lyrics. If this is your first time listening to this track, it might sound cringey or unusual. However, after a couple listens, you won’t even be phased by Kesha’s words. Heck, you might even contemplate her words. I mean, you do you! Just don’t eat anybody…please.

“Aries” – Gorillaz feat. Peter Hook & Georgia

While not as intense as the other songs, I’ve included this Gorillaz track as a transition, a cool down if you will. Yes, you can still lightly jump around or bob your head. This is an opportunity to catch your breath and enjoy the tunes. “Aries” makes me feel like I’m driving by the beach, soaking in the sunset while the wind blows through my hair.

“Sandy” – Rico Nasty

To fully understand and experience the vibes of this song by yourself, you must be:

a) Yelling at the top of your lungs; 

b) Aggressively point at the mirror; 

c) Jumping as high as you can; or 

d) All of the above

Sorry, I don’t make the rules! However, if you don’t want to point at the mirror, you can always direct your attention to inanimate objects like plushies or houseplants. Let them experience your anger, just this once.

“Kill V. Maim” – Grimes

This song makes me feel like I’m the main protagonist of an adventure anime! The bpm (beats per minute) of this Grimes track is perfect for those looking to add a song into their workout playlist. Imagine going on a walk or riding your bike with this song in the background. The atmosphere will be incredible and motivating!

“agoraphobic” – CORPSE

Alright, it’s the end of the playlist. You’re probably extremely tired now and might even be out of breath. This song will help you cool down, as it is a calming lo-fi single from CORPSE. While he’s known for “E-GIRLS ARE RUINING MY LIFE!” (gotta love the memes), this song is perfect for those lying in bed, staring at the ceiling while pondering life. It’s existential, but chill.

While I don’t condone procrastination (Who does anyway?), music playlists are a great way to be creative, have fun, and showcase your personality. Make sure to share your playlists with friends so they know what vibe you’re on (or don’t, that’s acceptable too). If you don’t have time to create your own playlist, there’s a variety available on streaming platforms like Spotify or Apple Music. Feel free to use these songs in your next playlist, and have happy listening!

Selena is an alumni of Rutgers University. She received her B.A. in Journalism and Media Studies with a minor in American Studies. She enjoys writing, attending concerts, traveling, and creating crafts.
Aishwarya Sridhar is a senior at Rutgers University majoring in Cell Biology & Neuroscience and double minoring in Psychology and Health & Society. You can usually find her studying in a library or curled up on her favorite couch with a cup of coffee and a good book.