This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

For many of us, 2021 marks the start of new projects and goals! This is the time to follow through with those plans of starting your own Etsy shop or getting that dream internship. Although it may be scary to put yourself out there, joining extracurricular activities and organizing your schedule can transform your college experience! Here are some tips for success.

To-Do Lists

Plan your day with a comprehensive to-do list! Making lists can help you organize and prioritize what needs to be done. Having multiple lists can be helpful as well! Make one for short term tasks and one for long term goals. An effective to-do list will help shape your schedule and daily plans. Apps such as Todoist and Microsoft To Do are great ways to get started! If you are feeling creative, try handwriting your plans or bullet journal. Keep your checklists concise and specific. Remember, these lists are meant to help and not overwhelm you!

Networking

Reaching out to people is the best way to explore your field of interest. Although it is always scary to put yourself out there, building your network early is a huge advantage. Your connections and relationships may help you secure career opportunities in the future. Remember, networking includes connecting with people and maintaining those connections. As a college student, a good way to start is by reaching out to your college faculty and professors. Oftentimes, they will put you in touch with valuable resources and vouch for you in the process. Linkedin is also an awesome way to help you get connected. Make an account if you haven’t already!

Planning Party

Get together with your friends and host a planning party over Zoom or Discord! Work on your personal statements, cover letters, and resumes with your friends. Having an extra set of eyes always helps bring a new perspective to your work. Alternatively, you can research clubs and volunteer opportunities together! Joining new activities with friends makes the process much less intimidating. With the spring semester starting, this is the perfect time to attend some general interest meetings and check out some new clubs!

Self Care

Don’t forget to take care of yourself while you chase your goals. Many of us have experienced some sort of burnout, especially while juggling a college course load in addition to other responsibilities. Remember to take a deep breath, pace yourself, and set realistic goals. Don’t overwhelm yourself by tackling everything at once. Take some time to do some at-home spa sessions, exercise, and meditation!

College is the perfect time to nurture your ideas to fruition! The prospect of starting something new may feel intimidating or unfeasible, however, you miss a hundred percent of the shots you don’t take. Keep in mind that there will always be bumps on the road to success! Don’t be discouraged and put yourself out there!

Lily Huang

Rutgers '23

Lily Huang is a senior attending Rutgers University-New Brunswick. She is currently majoring in Cultural Anthropology. In her free time, she loves cooking, painting, and playing with her cats.
Aishwarya Sridhar is a senior at Rutgers University majoring in Cell Biology & Neuroscience and double minoring in Psychology and Health & Society. You can usually find her studying in a library or curled up on her favorite couch with a cup of coffee and a good book.