XBadSkincareHabits HeroImagepng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
XBadSkincareHabits HeroImagepng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus / Megan Charles
Style > Beauty

My Night-time Skincare Routine for Dry Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Is it just me or is skincare having a moment? Never have I seen more Instagram posts and YouTube videos dedicated to getting perfect skin. With influencers like Hyram taking over the social media world in a hilarious, amazing way, many people who have never touched a skincare product in their life are starting to delve into the world of skincare. I was one of these people.

I have always loved makeup but was always skeptical about skincare. I mean, did using all these serums and creams really do anything? The one time I used a face mask a few years ago, my sensitive skin broke-out all over my face and I decided: never again. However, over the past few months, I have been slowly experimenting with skincare products to find a routine that actually works for my dry, sensitive skin, and I think I’ve finally found it.

Cleanser

The first step of my skincare routine is using a cleanser (or two!). Especially if you wear makeup, removing all the pore-clogging dirt and makeup products is important for healthy skin. With dry skin, I try to look for more hydrating and less stripping cleansers. Currently, I use the cult-favorite Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water to remove makeup and follow-up by washing my face with the Cerave Hydrating Facial Cleanser. 

Toner

Next, I use a toner, but the key is to use a hydrating toner. Many toners, from my experience, tend to contain drying ingredients intended to minimize oil production. So if you have dry skin, be sure to look for a hydrating toner, like the Innisfree Hydrating Toner, which can work wonders by adding moisture to the skin instead of further dehydrating it.

Exfoliant

I had never heard of chemical exfoliation until about three months ago, but where has it been all my life! Chemical exfoliants, such as Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), remove the top layer of dead skin cells, revealing the healthy new skin underneath. After discovering The Ordinary and their very many chemical exfoliants, I am hooked. However, from experience, I found their fan-favorite Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution too harsh for my sensitive skin, so I prefer their Mandelic Acid 10% + HA, which is much gentler.

Vitamin C (or a derivative)

Dry skin is often associated with dull skin. Dehydration tends to make the skin look dull and lifeless. Vitamin C is a great way to combat this as it is well known for its brightening and anti-oxidant benefits. However, as a new skincare enthusiast, I wanted to start slow by trying a milder derivative of Vitamin C before adding the pure form into my skincare routine. My current favorite product is the Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12% by The Ordinary. It’s amazing and gives you such a glow!

Hyaluronic Acid

Regarded as the holy grail product for hydration, hyaluronic acid is every dry-skinned person’s dream come true. It is able to retain water on the skin and help keep it moisturized. However, from experience, I realized that hyaluronic acid requires some specific steps to be taken to work best on dry skin. My first tip is to make sure to put hyaluronic acid on the skin when the skin is slightly wet. I found that putting it on dry skin tended to make it even drier. Tip two is to put a rich moisturizer on top immediately to lock in that hydration. That leads us to the next step.

MOISTURIZER

Probably (and likely quite obviously) the most important step in a dry skin person’s skincare routine is a good moisturizer. My current favorite moisturizer is The Ordinary’s Natural Moisturizing Factors. I love this because it is also great for the morning because it does not look too greasy on the skin. On nights when my skin feels really dry, I like to use the Weleda Skin Food moisturizer, which has the most amazing, rich formula that is perfect for even the driest of dry skin.

Eye Cream

Last but not least, the final step of my skincare routine is eye cream. Although I have come to terms with my hereditary and frequent-all-nighter induced under-eye circles, it doesn’t stop me from trying to minimize them by using an eye-cream. My tip though is to apply not one, but TWO eye creams. One for getting rid of any dark circles, like the Vitamin C containing Total Eye Cream Serum from Pure Biology, and then using a hydrating one on top. Sometimes I even use my Weleda Skin Foods moisturizer as an eye cream because it’s so hydrating.

With winter coming soon, us dry-skinned humans need to be sure to moisturize and keep the skin hydrated and healthy. Remember, everyone’s skin is different and will react differently to every product. I am no skincare expert, but these are simply the products that, through trial and error, I found worked best for me. In addition, keep in mind that these are a lot of products and not everyone can afford to have a dedicated skincare routine. So, start one product at a time and at whatever price point is best for you. Even $2 products can be amazing if they have the right ingredients. Regardless of the price, make sure to look closely at the ingredients in your skincare products and patch test before using them! Recently, I have realized that skincare can be a form of relaxation and self-care, and I hope we can all welcome 2021 as our best, most confident selves.

Aishwarya Sridhar is a senior at Rutgers University majoring in Cell Biology & Neuroscience and double minoring in Psychology and Health & Society. You can usually find her studying in a library or curled up on her favorite couch with a cup of coffee and a good book.