This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

In navigating a new year, there are always a lot of changes to juggle. For the average college student, 2023 has been rife with new goals, hopes, and dreams for the new semester. Maybe it’s taking on a new role at your job, or even taking a challenging course. It may all seem chaotic and intimidating to balance at first, but if you proceed with confidence, obtaining success will seem much easier than you think.

Embrace the change

It is important to remember that change is good, especially if it signals a diversion from your comfort zone. Even if something seems arduous at first, you can navigate it by breaking it down into smaller goals that feel more approachable. Change definitely takes time to get adjusted to, but with patience and a good attitude, the change will be smoother. Take it in stride!

Practice Managing your time And adjusting

A difference in schedule is always difficult to adjust to at first. You may be used to having classes later in the afternoon from the previous semester, and now you have to take an early morning class. Modifying your previous habits to go along with your new schedule is important but tough, so give yourself ample time and energy to do so. Perhaps instead of hanging out late with friends the night before your early class, try picking a different day to see them and turn in a little earlier to be fresh for the morning.

Pay attention to your needs

In addition to a new schedule, it is important to keep your mental health in mind. Remember to take time to relax and unwind from your new schedule. Even if you’re taking fewer credits or easier classes, adaptation is still a demanding consumer of your energy, so your mind and body could always use replenishing! Maybe try a new TV show to binge every now and then when you get overwhelmed, or, if you want to stay active, sign up for an on-campus yoga class to decompress. Whatever it is that helps you forget about your responsibilities and stressors for a little while is definitely worth adding to your schedule.

If you are feeling overwhelmed at any given time, you can implement something as simple as engaging in breathing exercises. If you feel overwhelmed during class, or even when completing an assignment, focusing on steady deep breaths is a quick way to re-center yourself and destress.

Another way you can tackle your stress is by journaling. Journaling your daily thoughts is a good way to let out any stress. Also, journaling what you are happy or proud of accomplishing day to day will keep you in better spirits.

Probably one of the best-proven ways to manage stress is through physical exercise. Through exercise, you can channel your feelings and process them. Even if it is walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes, any sort of movement can help you calm down.

Stress management is crucial to achieving your goals for the new semester, so it is important that you take the time to map out your schedule. Using a planner or calendar can be useful as you plan out times when you have class or work. Also, marking down when in the week you have time to unwind is calendar worthy! Scheduling your time to relax, or when you want to make plans is good because you will visually be able to see what you get to look forward to in your week.

Take a deep breath, smile, and grab this semester by the horns!

Heather is a sophomore at Rutgers University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies with a specialization in Global Media, and minoring in Business and Technical Writing. Besides writing, she enjoys binging true crime documentaries, baking cookies, and walking along scenic trails. IG: @heathersuraci