Style > Beauty

I’ve Worn Eyeliner Nearly Everyday for 8 years—And Here’s What I’ve Learned 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

After my almost decade-long career in wearing eyeliner, I can finally say I am a bit of an expert. Since the ripe age of 13, I have been drawing on full-winged eyeliner nearly everyday. My longstanding eyeliner career had a similar start to most others who get involved early on during years of being an impressionable youth: I was emo. Surprisingly, being emo in middle school had its perks.

Years later, I can say I have mastered the art of eyeliner—yet not without learning useful techniques and valuable lessons along the way. Fortunately, my skills have definitely improved since the days I used to sing along to Panic! At the Disco, Twenty One Pilots, and My Chemical Romance in the mirror. Learn a few of my tips for mastering the perfect eyeliner look. 

Figure Out the Right Eyeliner Color 

Although Black eyeliner is the standard, there are tons of colors. Determine what color eyeliner works best with your eyes. I have brown eyes and have mainly stuck with classic Black. Yet, experimenting with funky colors like red and purple can really elevate a make-up look. 

Perhaps you might want to try exploring with different colors. If you are looking to see other eyeliner color options, you might try white or brown for a more neutral look or something blue or yellow for a more vibrant one! Don’t be afraid to venture outside of traditional Black eyeliner and see what color compliments your eyes or make-up look the most. 

Personally, I swear by the KVD Beauty Tattoo Liner Vegan Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner from Sephora.

Find the Easiest Eyeliner Applicator 

Eyeliner can be difficult to apply. It requires patience, dexterity, and honestly a lot of luck. Even after years of practice, I still occasionally mess up my wing and have to start all over. Throughout my eyeliner journey, I have tried using an eyeliner pencil, liquid eyeliner, eyeliner stamp, and eyeliner pen. Depending on your skill level, I would transition between different types of applicators to see which one suits your needs. 

For beginners, I would recommend starting with an eyeliner pencil or eyeliner stamp. If you have a hard time holding your hand steady or drawing a sharp wing, they work well providing more support in this process. As you gain more experience, you can work towards using an eyeliner pen or liquid eyeliner. 

Determine the Eyeliner Style for your Eye Shape 

Your eye shape can greatly change the way eyeliner looks on your eyes. Not every wing works for everyone’s eyes. Determining the style that suits your eye shape helps to accentuate your unique features. Regardless of whether you have hooded eyes, down-turned eyes, or almond-eyes, there are ways to use eyeliner to make sure your eyes really pop! 

Research different eyeliner style guides to get a better idea of what type of eyes you have and how you can use eyeliner to bring out the beauty of them! You might also look into different eyeliner looks as well. For instance, you might want to experiment with “doe eyes,” “siren eyes” or classic “cat eyes.” Doing so serves as a fun way to creatively express yourself and try new make-up looks to see what complements your eyes.   

Remind yourself: Eyeliner takes practice! Even after nearly a decade applying eyeliner, I still discover new techniques and tips. Wherever you are in your eyeliner journey, take the opportunity to transform your look. 

Reader. Writer. Dreamer. Lover of all things relating to language and literature.