Style > Beauty

Holiday Makeup Looks To Inspire Festive Creativity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Okay, ladies, it’s time to prep yourself for the holidays. Even if you don’t wear makeup daily, or just not a lot of it, these tips can help create a look that shines so bright, you may even remind people of the star on top of the tree. Get your makeup brushes in order and don’t forget the setting spray!

Eyeshadow

(Photo by freestocks.org on Unsplash)

Red and green aren’t the only colors necessary for a Christmas makeup look. There’s white, silver, gold, even a nude tone color. You can do one eye with one color and the other one a different color; similar to Maddie Ziegler’s (Dance Moms) wig on Sia’s holiday album. There are extremely creative people that can also draw detailed pictures on their eyelids, such as a Christmas tree, holiday lights, or even a penguin.

Lips

(Photo by Jakub Gorajek on Unsplash)

Christmas makeup looks either need that idealistic cherry red lip or a burgundy-colored lipstick. The classic red lip is a dramatic accessory to your face and pops so bright! Some people like to create patterned lips (ex. candy cane).

Eyeliner

(Photo by freestocks.org on Unsplash)

A thick black line across the eyelid line will stand out with your eyeshadow masterpiece. There are several types of ways to create your fine line: thick, thin, black, blue, glitter, the list is endless. There are also many ways to style your eyeliner wings, such as a cat eye, or going for a more dramatic Cleopatra style wing.

Nails

(Photo by Karina Vorozheeva on Unsplash)

There are too many tutorials on nail designs, which is so cool to have at your fingertips! You can paint a simple design, such as red on eight fingers and a white accent nail, or all ten fingers white with ornaments on them. But if you want to start drawing out the Grinch or Buddy the Elf, well applause to you–you’re super artsy!

Glitter

(Photo by Karina Tes on Unsplash)

You can never have too much glitter, let’s get that straight! I mean, who wouldn’t want to have sparkly snow on their face (or all over their body)? Glitter screams party and celebration, so by wearing tons of glitter (or a small amount), you’ll definitely outshine everyone.

Your body is your canvas. These tips will help you find your inner makeup artist. Decorate and dress however you would like and don’t forget that extra sparkle!

I am a junior at Rutgers University. I'm currently a Criminal Justice major and want to pursue a career in law. I enjoy writing independent pieces because it shows the author's personality throughout. I love to cook/bake, go to the gym, read, watch Law and Order: SVU, Grey's Anatomy, crime series, cooking shows, and some other series. I also love art, yoga, listening to music and playing with my dog LuLu. Friends and family are extremely important to me, and I don't think I'd be myself without them!