women fists raised in air
women fists raised in air
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Guide to Local Involvement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

With all eyes on the national stage, down-ballot races and local politics often get swept under the rug. Many people I talk to feel so hopeless and disillusioned by our national political climate, they won’t even look at local politics. This is an issue because local politics has the most influence on our personal lives, and it is also our greatest opportunity to create change. Our local politicians are the ones who decide what happens in our community and what doesn’t. Issues like reforms, housing, education, and services are up to them. Here are some ways you can make a change in your community.

Find your local organization and organizers

There is almost certainly an organization in your area looking to make changes. Many are small, and they are desperate for people to get involved. Check Instagram, and make sure you check on Facebook, particularly Facebook groups. You can also find them by emailing your town’s political party headquarters or getting involved in a down-ballot campaign. Find organizers that support issues you care about by phone banking for a candidate you support. Also, you can find events in your area (over Zoom or online) by going to mobilize.us and filtering events by your town. Another way to find local organizers is to volunteer at food banks and other events that focus on helping your local community. Many organizations partner with others, and grassroots organizations and organizers are involved in lots of different associations.

Read your local newspaper

Many local newspapers are going under and are disappearing. This is incredibly dangerous since this is where you stay in the know about what is happening. Newspapers include updates on what the council and board of education decide. If there are ongoing issues in town, they will often give a summary of the controversy for those unaware of the situation. This is another place you can find your local organizers and organizations.

Create your own organization

If you cannot find one, you can create one yourself. Find local issues you are passionate about. Is it hunger? Education? Housing? Access to services like the library and public transportation? You can start digital organizing, no matter your experience.

It is important to ensure you are educated on the issues before you start finding organizations you can partner with. You want to make sure you create the broadest coalition you can to get the most people involved in making change.

Go to town council and board of education meetings

Now that most meetings have moved online due to the coronavirus pandemic, it has never been easier to attend your local meetings. Most assemblages are held on Zoom, so make sure you have the newest version downloaded to call in and demand action on the issues you care about in the public portion. The links can be found on your town’s  website, or you can email the members of the council, your town, or the board of education’s business administrator.

In this COVID-19 world, taking action is vital now more than ever. To raise awareness on critical matters, you can get other people involved by hosting a council meeting party. There are many ways to still adhere to social distancing and to have a council-focused reception. If you have good WiFi, hold an outdoor gathering where everyone keeps their masks on and watch the council meetings on Zoom together. Other fun ways are to set up a Discord or GroupMe for people passionate about these issues, and you can comment about what is happening in the live meeting.

Our voices matter, so make sure yours counts too.

Katy is a student, community organizer, and artist. She is passionate about justice, history, popular culture, and how they are connected. You can contact her at katydoescrafts@gmail.com or katydoescrafts on Instagram and twitter.
Sam F

Rutgers '21